Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I direct swap a 208 into my 89?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rocko, Dec 30, 2001.

1. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I have a 241 in my 89.. it makes alot of noise.. so I was wondering if I can add a 208 to my 89 without any mods..
    My 89 and 83 have 700r4 trans..
    I have access to a 208 and just trying to do some research before going ahead with the deal..

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

What kind of noise does it make? Whine is pretty normal for the early 241's. I'd keep and fix the 241 if necessary if only because a SYE kit is available for it and not for a 208.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

whats SYE

hola

4. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Thanks Rene.. what's a SYE?
    It's thunking pretty hard.. I checked the t-case mount.. it's tight..
    When I romp on the gas.. I can feel the t-case thunk pretty hard under my feet...
    Thought it was my front driveshaft.. I removed it completely.. lowered the t-case when I lifted it.. and changed out the rear driveshaft with new u-joint.. didn't help..
    Any other ideas?

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

5. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

Slip Yoke Eliminator

6. FatBoyBlazer

how much does on of those nifty little devises go for?

hola

7. tRustyK5

Have Pam take the drivers seat and put it in gear with the brakes on. Watch the mount area while she applies a bit of gas with the brake on. My guess is that the mount is bad even though it seems tight. Torquing over the motor a bit should confirm that...just don't let Pam run over your head. You could just jack up the tranny a bit and remove/inspect the mount to be certain. It's supposed to be all one piece BTW...[​IMG]

SYE is a Slip yoke eliminator...you might not want/need it now but it's nice to have the option available to you later.[​IMG]

Rene

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

8. FatBoyBlazer

how much..............???????

hola

9. tRustyK5

Here's a few links to the SYE kit.

http://www.tellico4x4.com/xfer/slipyoke.htm#np241

Looks like $275 is the magic number.

Rene

10. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Not sure if your 89 still has cable drive speedometer but most 241's were used in trucks that had the electronic speedometer and only early 241's were mechanical drive speedo's. Seems like 88's were still 208, and 89's were first year of 241. Just have be careful when swapping 208's into trucks with electronic controlled speedo's.

87 K5, 427BBC,D60 & 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM disc's,

11. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

12. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

my 89 has a 208 and cable drive speedo, would think it should fit right in,
    just bought a new 1 (rebuilt fron boyce, (800 total)) and swapped it with the new crate and tranny, and now if i can get the brakes right i will be doing great
    good luck

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

13. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

As far as I know 89 was the only year for the 241 with cable drive speedo. Unless you have the 208 I would just rebuild the 241.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

14. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Like Rene said. Keep the 241. Most likely its something else making the noise. The SYE I installed on my 241 is KICK ASS. It is a must for versatility case the rear shaft bites the dust and have to remove it and still drive.

Still hoping the GOV'T will ban the use of loud stereos with RAP music. [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

15. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

What T-case do you think my '90 Suburban has? It's a 3/4t, 350ci, 700R4. I hear a loud cluck some times when it's under load, like when I'm pulling a trailer or driving up hill. I usually here it durring long trips. I thought the chain might be slipping. Does it have a chain? It doesn't do it in a cycle, pretty sparatic.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chvyhs>WebShot Pics</a>

16. tRustyK5

You have the 241 as well and probably also have a mount problem. Chain drive aluminum T-case, 2.72:1 low range, and overall a decent T-case. The chains can wear out but it is pretty uncommon unless it's been abused. They are pretty tough and should last a long time unless you fracture the case on a rock...

Rene

17. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I have 174000 miles on it. Thanks for the info. I'll check it before I go to Pismo Beach this week.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chvyhs>WebShot Pics</a>

18. lt1yj

lt1yj 1/2 ton status

My 241 just went out at 168K. It started making a clunking noise once in a while under heavy load and after I hit a bump on the road. It slowly got worse and then started popping out of 2wd into neutral.

I replaced it but I tore the old one down to see what was wrong. Turns out the little plastic pieces on the shift fork were worn off and the gear (mode shaft) that slides in and out of the planetaries to engage high/low range was popping in and out of the sun gear splines and making the clunking noise.

I called around to local trans shops and they said this is the most common failure in 231 &amp; 241's.

A rebuild kit, and a new mode shaft is probably around $200 and the whole removal, rebuild, and install should take about 4 hours.

19. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The chain only goes into action in 4WD. It drives the front output shaft. So if you're hearing a clunk in 2WD then you can rule out a bad chain. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

20. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Hey Rene, would a 241 make a good swap into an 87? Not sure I really need a doubler, but I would like to get the SYE. And I could possibly go to the crate 383 in the future. What year should I look for?

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton