Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I disable my truck by pulling a fuse or something?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Scott A, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Scott A

Scott A 1/2 ton status

I don't have an alarm on my 83 Blazer 6.2L Diesel. Is there a fuse or anything I can dissconnect to prevent someone taking my rig/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Leave a coil wire on the seat when you park it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Thief will never be able to figure out where that goes.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Leave the coil wire on the seat when you park it

[/ QUOTE ]

Sence when do diesels have coil wires?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thats the point, thief will pop the hood and try to figure out where to put the wire /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. I don't know if your year has these fuses, but I always pull the ECM and crank fuses on my 89 whenever I park in a questionable neighborhood.

6. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

I dont know about a fuse (there might be im not framilar with gm diesels) but you can pull the wire on the injection pump (fuel shutoff solenoid).

7. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

wire funny /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

i had a civic that sat for a while so i pullled the main fuse out of it, some prick actually broke into it, busted the steering column and thats about it.

anything vital will do, fuel pump, main fuse, injector fuse whatever makes the thing not run (pull the fuse, crank it and see if you can drive away) if they can't get it going quick they will leave it.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

take your tcase shifter off, cut the shaft about half an inch below where it goes through ur rigs floor... then thread the end of the top half of the shifter... weld a piece of threaded tube to the bottom of the shifter. Now, when u are going to leave ur rig sitting, shift your tcase into neutral, twist off your shifter and take it inside ur house with you. If you ever hear your rig hit 5k rpm outside ur house, grab ur 12ga and go investigate. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

9. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

That is actually a pretty cool idea.
    Why don't you just wire up an emergency shutoff switch and hide it?
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. jekbrown

no anti-theft device is 100% effective.. I think it takes a whole system of devices for the best protection. The removable tcase handle is 1 part... a good hidden kill switch is another.

now that I think about it tho... the top part of the shifter should be the part that has the threaded sleeve welded onto it... because otherwise in theory a guy could just put a big screwdriver in the sleeve and shift it that way. With the bottom part being the threaded shaft, that wouldnt be possible... and so long as its below the body you couldnt get a grip with pliers on the nub either. I dunno about other peeps, but you aint shiftin my np205 without the leverage from a tcase shifter. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    j

11. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

If it goes below the body of the truck, you could install a locking plate to cover the hole so you couldn't even get to the lever in the first place.

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    thats the point, thief will pop the hood and try to figure out where to put the wire /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh...I get it...I guess the jokes on me /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

13. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    If it goes below the body of the truck, you could install a locking plate to cover the hole so you couldn't even get to the lever in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, good point! this could be a great way to conceal your anti theft device as well... if the cover/lock was low key enough and painted/coated to match the rest of your interior a thief might not even see it in the dark. if he knew chit about trucks, he'd prolly just figure it was a 2wd rig... and when it wouldnt move that it was busted! lol! if he didnt know trucks... well... he'd prolly still think it was busted. either way your neighbor is getting ripped off instead. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I spliced into the injector pump solenoid wiring and then installed a switch under the dash. With the switch off the engine will crank but won't fire. I like this idea the best because the thief will most likely just think the engine is hard to start.....if everything is dead than it's pretty obvious there is a kill switch which they might start lookin for.

15. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

MSD boxes have an extra wire (white I believe) that can be hooked up to a switch (to ground) that will kill spark from the box.

If you already have an MSD box.....it's a quick and dirty 1st step.

16. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I know I can shift my 208 from underneath the truck, so if a thief could figure out what was going on, he would just have to jump under the truck and shove the shift linkage back to 2H.

17. jekbrown

yet another reason not to own a np208. lol!!! no way my 205 is shiftin without a lever of some kind.

j

18. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

First battery kill switch under the hood...
    Next, starter interupt switch located (uhh for fun let say, on a plate mounted above the ashtray behind the dash.. flip the ashtray down and reach up)
    Next some form of Brake lock, like The CLUB II thingy
    If your paranoid make it go under the brake and gas pedals (assuming you build your own)
    Lastly, park under a light or motion detecter light

If you need more than that, MOVE to a new area /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

19. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I spliced into the injector pump solenoid wiring and then installed a switch under the dash. With the switch off the engine will crank but won't fire. I like this idea the best because the thief will most likely just think the engine is hard to start.....if everything is dead than it's pretty obvious there is a kill switch which they might start lookin for.

[/ QUOTE ]
    My switch still allows the truck to try to turn, but won't.
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

20. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    either way your neighbor is getting ripped off instead

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The good ol' "better you than me"/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Yeah, I have a cut of switch to the pump hidden....they can sit there and crank it over all day...the biatch aint gonna start. Might fire and burn whatever is in the line, but thats it...then it shuts off and isnt gonna start back up.