Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I do this with my drums?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Mar 26, 2003.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

I bought some new drums oday because my other ones had grooves in them and were toast. Heres my quesion can I install these new drums without changing the brake pads the pads are in good shape.

Or will it just make grooves in my drums again?
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

do your brake shoes have grooves or peaks on them? if they have any high peaks on them they might not grab too well until they get worn down even again. me personally, i would just go ahead and replace the shoes while you've got it apart, especially if they are uneven. you can get new brake shoes for about $20 - $25 at most parts stores.

3. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

If your hard for cash, you can getaway with using the old ones if they have enough pad left (more then 1/8 inch thick) only because they are your rear brakes which don't do all the braking. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

This may sound silly, but if your truck has bonded shoes on it now (not riveted) I would *seriously* consider replacing them.

Friend just got through with this issue, once again the lining seperated from the steel, and wedged into mechanism, making for "interesting" stops. I've seen it on more than one occasion, seems like any time the drum is removed, the "breathing room" afforded the bonded shoes encourages them to fall apart.