Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can i fit 35's?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by silver, Aug 20, 2002.

1. silver

silver Registered Member

can i fit 35\'s?

i have a 1970 blazer with a 4" suspension lift and i'm looking into a 2" leaf spring lift... if i added that would i be able to fit 35's? I DON'T WANT TO CUT ANYTHING. any help would be appreciated

2. Tonka

Tonka Registered Member

Re: can i fit 35\'s?

Hey, I'm from Dallas too. If you already have a 4" suspension lift then it must be springs unless you are using blocks in the front (which you shouldn't). Here is what I am doing with my 72. I presently have two inch springs all around and I run 35s on the street with no problem. I wouldn't want to get it all twisted up off road but it works with minimal rubbing and no cutting. I am in the process of changing the front springs to 4" softrides and adding two inch blocks to the rear softride 2" springs. I expect this will work ok for what I do. (I go pretty easy on my truck) If you really want to off road, I expect most will tell you to go with at least 6" of lift to run 35s. Where in Dallas are you? Would be cool to go have a beer at strokers sometime.

3. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

I have a 69 w/ 4" lift and 35's. Works fine for street and mild offroad. Rubs a bit if you turn REAL tight (full lock).
    You can see pics at: My Blazer
    [​IMG]

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Very Nice Rig! I Like! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. jjtwuk

jjtwuk Registered Member

great looking truck - good job /forums/images/icons/cool.gif . I really like the paint and the rollbar. How do I get a hold of GM Truck Center to get one made for me.

6. swamp donkey

Henrik is the owner. They are in Burbank. Make sure you tell them Dylan sent you.
    There web site is GMtruckcenter.com

7. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

How wide are your wheels and how much backspacing do they have?

8. swamp donkey

10" rims with 35" x 12.5" tires. Standard backspacing.

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Just tried the first fitting of my new wheels/ tires 37/13x16 boggers on 16x8 Champion beadlocks. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif [​IMG]

10. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

my 72 gas only 4 inch lift and 35x12,5r15's.i jhave no trouble off road and get full stuff with the 35's with no rubbing.also 4 inch backspace 15x8 amercan racing rims

11. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

my 72 has only 4 inch lift and 35x12.5r15's.i have no trouble off road and get full stuff with the 35's with no rubbing.also 4 inch backspace 15x8 amercan racing rims

12. silver

silver Registered Member

haha, i'de love to have a beer with you, but you're buyin cuz i'm only 16. i'm near the park cities. what color is your blazer? i've only seen one other 1st gen. around here and it's orange... mines silver.

13. Tonka

Tonka Registered Member

Park Cities? Guess I'm not familiar with that. My Blazer is green and I live in the Mid Cities area (Hurst Euless Bedford) 16? You got a cool first ride.

14. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

You guys think I could run 35's?

Picture

15. 91k5NC

91k5NC 1/2 ton status

you should be able to run 35's with 4".

16. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Time to move that rear axle back about 1.5" methinks....! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I still can't believe that I stuffed 38.5" under the rear fenders without trimming the stock openings!!! I really need to see some photos of it flexing to figure out how it worked.

1.5" rear wheel spacers on my 14BFF were a big help too. Never touched the inner wheel tub.

17. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

I have the u-bolt plates that allow me to move it back one inch so that will have to be enough. I just have to get out there and do it.

Evan

18. Greg72

Evan,

You'll be amazed at what it takes to keep the fronts from rubbing! I moved the axle forward 1" and it looked like the tires were going to rub all over the bumper-side of the opening. In reality they STILL rubbed on the footwell side....

Making the front fenders "look stock" but actually still clear the 38's is going to be a challenge. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif In the rear, moving back even 1" should give you surprising amounts of clearance. All the Blazers I've ever seen have that rear axle VERY close to the front edge of the fender, and that's always where they'll rub first.

Wheel spacers (or a van-width 14BFF) is another key to getting clearance in the back. The nice thing about it is you get the same track width on the front and rear axles, and it looks REALLY good that way.....plus no rubbing on the wheel tubs.

One of these days I'll have to get my finished truck on a ramp and snap a few detail pics of how it stuffs. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

19. silver

silver Registered Member

what is 14BFF? is it something relating to a 14 bolt differential? (i'm a dumb ass about all this stuff and i'm trying to learn not to be)

grant

20. Greg72

Grant,

Don't sweat it.....it's just short hand. 14BFF = 14 Bolt Full Floater, 14BSF = 14 Bolt Semi Floater.

Both are GM corporate 1-Ton rear axles. The full-floater is considered to be more beefy than the semi floater, and if you ever broke an axle, you could still drive it home.....

If a semi floater breaks, the broken axle and the wheel fall out of the axle tube.....and you're screwed! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Most folks here consider the 14BFF to be the ultimate, cost-effective upgrade for the K5. They are plentiful and cheap and you can put Detroit Lockers in them for cheap....

Hope that helps clear things up a little. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif