Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I fit 38's with 6" lift??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Jul 1, 2004.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Can I fit 38\'s with 6\" lift??

I have 4" in lift and 35" tires and I am wanting to go a little bigger, I have the fenders trimmmed back to the fenderwell, will that be enough?
    Thanks
    -Chris

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Re: Can I fit 38\'s with 6\" lift??

maybe but maybe not. I have a worn out 4" and I trimmed the fenders and knocked the fender wells back. Hers a pic with 35's.
    [​IMG]

Right now it looks like I can fit 38's on then but Ill need to trim the rear. So with 6" am sure you could fit 38's on. Im planning on runing 40" on a 6" but Ill have to do some more trimming.

Nick

3. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

With some fender trimming, you could probably run the 38s with your current lift as long as your current lift has the bumpstops adjusted to compensate for that lift. It also depends what kind of wheeling you do with your rig. The real question is can your current axles hold up to the 38 inch tires... Unless you have 1 ton axles, you're gonna risk breaking axles with tires that big. If you ain't skeerd of breakin axles, and you don't rock crawl with both axles locked, you might get away with 38s.

<font color="green"> Later,

Allan Greenblazer

PS. Wheel offset is important when running bigger tires. If you used stock wheels the inside sidewalls of the tires would be likely to contact the springs when turning. Basically changing wheel offset can cure some rubbing problems. </font>

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

If you become close friends with the sawzall you can, I ran 38.5" TSL's with 4" of lift, and I have since added a 2" body lift. I have plenty of room thanks to the trimming.

4" with 38.5"
    [​IMG]

Total of 6" with 38.5"
    [​IMG]

BTW.. I have since trimmed my rear fenders due to some pretty bad rubbing while wheeling. 6" of lift in the back as well.

5. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

I run 38x15.5 on 6 inch lift, more like 7 after you add added height from Dana 60s. I used Bushwhacker cut outs, and it will rub at "full" stuff, but I think my set up works really well. I'd post pics, but dont know how. DP90K5 has pics of it. Even at 15.5 wide, I dont rub much. Good luck, bigger is always better in my book....to a point!

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I can hardly get my fingers in between the inner fenders and the tire at full stuff with the wheel cranked, but yes, it can be done.

I was told my springs are 6", but I seriously think they're 4". Eitehr way they're pretty well broken in to the point that I figure I got 5" max from them. I have zero rates also with my axle moved forward 1.5". I also have longer shackles but I moved the shackle mount so I don't really think I gained anything from that, either.

I wanted to go bigger but it would require losing a large portion of the inner fender and grinding the firewall for an additional inch or so of clearnace. My next tires are going to be 39.5s, not sure if I'll be hitting the floor boards or not.

My fenders are cut back pretty far and the inner fenders are currently bolted to the cab floor.

[​IMG]

There are closer pictures in my webshots at Http://community.webshots.com/user/tim84k10

Also, keep in mind that if you haven't modified your shock mounts or you have stiff springs you're never going to stuff your tire all the way anyway.

I think eventually I'm going to try to move my axle forward another inch or so to keep the tires off the floor board. On full droop the tire damn near is under where the, "fang" used to be on the front part of the fender (I swear it moves forward 6" or so, if not it looks like it!) No rubbage on droop, either.

7. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I put a set of 39.5's on my K5 with only 6" of lift and evertime I went to turn the fenders would take a chunk of the tire out of the tire. So the next day I bought a 3" body lift and everything is all gravy now. So I would definitely do a good bit of trimming or get a body lift.

8. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

We just put an 8" all spring lift on my buddies 85 w/ a set of 38x15.50/16.5 Swamper STS's, and they rub on the front fenders. Plenty of clearence in the rear, but the fronts need a little trimming...but not much.

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I run 38x12.50x15's on 7" lift w/ no trimming. I rub a little on the front rear but nothing worth trimming for. That's prolly because my lift is so stiff. When I get softer springs, I'll either have to go 6" or trim the fenders.
    my junk

10. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have a few friends with 38" Tires that run different lift combos in the 6"-7" overall range. Each of them have trimmed fenders to varying degrees.

A few of them are on this page.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I put a set of 39.5's on my K5 with only 6" of lift and evertime I went to turn the fenders would take a chunk of the tire out of the tire. So the next day I bought a 3" body lift and everything is all gravy now. So I would definitely do a good bit of trimming or get a body lift.

[/ QUOTE ]

With 10" of lift and no trimming my 38.5s ate the crap out of my fenders before I hacked them.

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I have about 6" of lift and 1" body lift and easily clear 35's, could fit 37's and no trimming
    [​IMG]

13. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    6" lift, 1" body lift, /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif, 38x15.5's

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[​IMG]

4" suspension + 1" BL and 15/39.5 x 15" TSL's and 15 x10 steelies.

I did trim the sheet metal just a litle here and there. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Rene