Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I fit 40s? PICS inside!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bullet, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I have the 40x13.5 MTR in mind and with everyone here running 40's, I am curious if I can fit them with my current setup, especially when flexing...
    Here's the specs:
    5.5 BDS lift
    1" ORD Body Lift
    One tons, 5.13's
    37x12.5r16 SSR's

Here's he pics of how the fenders are currently cut:
    [​IMG]
    The lowest point of the fenders, near the sliders measures to 41.5 inches across (if there was an invisble line straight down from the front of the fender near the blinker)

Hers's the rear:
    [​IMG]
    Now, If I re-locate the 14B back an inch, would I have a problem?

Thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

If you were to weld your axles in place, you should be ok! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Seriously though... I'm pretty sure you'll need some cutting. Here's a pic of mine sittin on 42s with an old tired 6"+1 BEFORE trimming:

[​IMG]

AFTER trimming! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[​IMG]

Hope that helps some... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

-Dan

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In that pic, I've got 1" zero rates with the 1" offset being used! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i say zero rates, offset in the rear to move the 14b back an inch, and you could run 40s with MINIMAL extra trimming..

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I have the 40x13.5 MTR in mind and with everyone here running 40's, I am curious if I can fit them with my current setup, especially when flexing...
    Here's the specs:
    5.5 BDS lift
    1" ORD Body Lift
    One tons, 5.13's
    37x12.5r16 SSR's

Here's he pics of how the fenders are currently cut:
    [​IMG]
    The lowest point of the fenders, near the sliders measures to 41.5 inches across (if there was an invisble line straight down from the front of the fender near the blinker)

Hers's the rear:
    [​IMG]

Thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Skatin' them 37's! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

But seriously, why do you wan't 40's? Do you not like your current SSR's? I bet you could clear 40's fine cuz you look like you have plenty of trimming already.

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

im gonna have to agree with confedneck a set of zero rates all the way around and relocate the rear axle a little and they will probably clear, the 1in of the zero rates will help of course and you seem to have alot of clearance right now... but have you priced those 40" MT/R's? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The biggest problem (at least on my K5) is the rear of the front fenderwell (I have none so i mean the floorboard) With my 37's 4" BDS springs I tag the floor good. I am plannin on 40's soon also. I reccomend the zero rates but I would move the front axle foward also (assuming you have x-over).

8. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I really like my SSR's never had any serious problems with them, only chunking and lug spliting. Interco has come out with a 38x15.5R16 and I am considering those, I am just not sure that thier size will satisfy the monkey on my back right now /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

MTR's, from what I have heard, don't chunk and split and they are round, unlike the larger size swampers. Another thing I can get the MTR's around the $316 range when the SSR's run in the $350 range.

9. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I have crossover, and if there are minor clearance issues I'll relocate the rear axle but the Zero rates that are already on there; while if I need to on the front, I'll re-drill sprin perch holes to do the relocateing.

The only thing I really wanna cut is the inner fenderwell, and still be able to run it. I'd cut the fenders more, but I still want to keep all the support from the current bracing that's on there, since the Jimmy is my DD and the idea of my fenders resembling a sheet flapping in the wind as I drive down the freeway rubs me the wrong way /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think you might have to trim the front part of the fender a little more and move the diff forwards...

40's on 5" total lift (maybe less, the springs are old...)

[​IMG]

The diff is moved forward 1.25", and I don't have crossover yet. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif but it does still work pretty good.

Rene

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think you can easily pull it off as-is, but to say for sure I'd have to see the tires mounted. My tire clearance issues were much more related to the fact that my tires are 16" wide than anything else...I'm sure that with that lift and the D60 which puts you even taller than I am right now, you should have no issues. I could be wrong, and I'm sure moving the axles isn't a bad idea, but from teh way it looks, it may not be necessary.

Sure, Dan had to trim more, but his 42s are 15" wide. I'd say you've got enough trimming. Like rene said though, you might knock just a hair more off the front of the front fenders. I had cut mine once and had to cut all the way up to the core support as my 38.5s rubbed even with 9" of lift. Just caught that one spot there.

12. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Mabey the pic in your sig(full sized) would help us determine or others of you flexing pretty good. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif