Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I flat-tow with full hydro??? RESULTS!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DougK20, Jul 23, 2005.

1. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

I asked this a while back in tow & trailer, but the real answer is still out there. Can I flat-tow my K20 with full-hydro? Do I need to un-bolt the ram from the tie-rod, or will it cycle the fluid without harm? I do know that no linkage is neccessary as it tracks and turns based on the castor angle of the front axle. Sure it is an open center / load reacting orbital, but does that make a difference when there is no pressure? Seeing how you can turn the wheels with the motor not running, I'm thinking the steering unit will pump the fluid and turn the steering wheel (just as linkage would) when flat-towing. I'm mainly lookin' to go 30 miles down the highway to the trails and back.

In the pic you can see the towbar kit installed and also the hydro ram on the tie-rod. The main question is, do I need to un-bolt the ram to tow???? Thanks!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Jack up the front end, unlock the wheel (if so equipped) and see if you can push the tires around with the ram. I am pretty sure it will work but don't know for sure.

3. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

I was finally able to hook it to my tow rig tonight and tried several scenarios. Nothing worked until I unbolted the ram from the tie-rod. Then, it tracked and turned perfectly. So, there's your answer when using a single-ended ram. Perhaps a double-ended ram would yield a different result, but that's someone else's quest.