Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I get a 454 to a 502?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlackDog714, Dec 15, 2002.

1. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

Can I just bore the '75 454 block to accept 502 pistons? According to GM the stroke is the same, so it should be just boring the block, right? Are the new 502 blocks siamesed? Hell for that matter are the 454 blocks siamesed? Can this be done?

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

No you can't for the reason you just said. The 502 has siamesed bores. The most you would want to bore a 454 is 100 over which is pushing it for a reliable non-track engine. I was going to push my old 454 block to 100 over but the machine shop didn't reccomend it for my application.

Little info on BBC's here:
    https://www.spoperformanceparts.com/store/catalog/Category.jhtml?CATID=343

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Of course, if you want to spend some more money, you could get close by building your 454 the way Shawn did. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif A stroker crank and a 30-thousandths (I think) overbore will net you a 496. Shawn's 496 alters the rotation of the earth when he stomps on the loud pedal! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I was thinking about the 496, but that adds a huge difference in cost (i.e. new crank!) How big can I go with the block that I have?

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you're putting in new pistons, raise the compression raito !!!!!! Get it up there as high as you can for the gas you'll be running. The hot rod 383 Stroker I had in my Camaro was at 10.2 to 1 on 91 octane gas with no problems (no knocks or pings).

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You can safely go with a .060" overbore on a 454. If you want to go any larger then you should sonic test the block for thickness and concentricity. Before you even waste any time doing that though I would suggest finding out what the commonly available oversize pistons are. You may find that you can bore the engine oversize larger than you can find off the shelf pistons for. If you have to have pistons custom made then you are looking around 600.00 and up for custom pistons to be made.