Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I get some instructions on how to set my timing?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dasanii19, Mar 27, 2007.

1. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Id like to time my truck today and would like to get some instructions on how to do it, where to hook up the timing gun...?? I havent timed vehicel in a long time but I do have a timing gun. My truck is a 76 blazer 350 5.7 HEI if that matters on what I need to do.

2. Speedo

Speedo 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Locate the timing tab on the front of the engine, it will be bolted to the timing cover or welded to it. Clean it off so that you can read it. Locate the timing mark on the damper, clean it off so that you will be able to find it with the timing light once the engine is running. Depending on what kind of pick-up your timing light uses either inductive or direct hook it to #1 plug wire and the battery. Loosen the distributor hold down clamp just enough so that you can turn the distributor, pull the vacuum line off and plug it, start the engine and point the timing light at the timing tab. You should be able to see the timing mark on the damper turn the distributor until the timing mark lines up where it needs to be, probably in the neighborhood of 8*-10* BTC. There should be a sticker on the core support telling you where it needs to be set. This should be done with the engine warm so that it doesn't run on fast idle.
    This should be enough information to get you going.

Gus

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

To add to speedo in case you didn't know:
    #1 cylinder is the one on the front driver side.

4. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

I thought so but thanks for verifying.

Also, when you say plug the vacume, thats the vacume advance that sits unter the HEI dist. correct? I plug that up? do I plug the hose that runs off of that to the carb as well?

Also, id like to make sure my plug wires are in the corect firing order. I can do this by looking for the firing order on the maifold right?

5. Speedo

Speedo 1/2 ton status Premium Member

No need to plug the distributor just the vacuum hose.

Gus

6. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

got it, that hose that fits on that vacume thing on the dist. is very loose and id like to replace that. Someone said to just take it off and match it up at napa, do you think thats a good idea?

7. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Oh yea, one more thing. This might be a dumb question but better safe then sorry. Can I advance and retard the dist by hand while the truck is running? Im asking because I thought I remember someone telling me I could get shocked. Is this true? should I use something besides my hand to turn it?

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If your wires are good you shouldn't get shocked.
    If the wires are cracked and or shaffed, then you might. :D
    But yes you can usually turn it by hand while it's running.

9. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

well, I had a two plug wires in the wrong spots switched them to the right spots and bam not more backfring through the carb. After I made sure the plugs were in the right spots I turned the timing light on, its showing on the (before 8 spot) maybe a tiny bit higher. does that make sense? anyways, my hood or manual doesnt show what I should be timed at. How can I figure this out?

10. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

speedo said "probably in the neighborhood of 8*-10* BTC" But how do I figure out what exactly it is suppost to be at? Is it something that should just be set at by sound and or how it runs?

11. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Is it the original motor?

It depends on what the mill is, compression, cam, etc... could be anywhere from 4 btdc to 12 btdc....

Most sb chevy's like at least 32 total degrees of timing... That's what the timing is at when the centrifical weights are at full at advance.. Usually they're all in at about 3000 rpm... modded motors with bigger cams, etc, can take MUCH more total timing...

Does your light have an advance knob? That makes it simple to check total timing.... IMO, total timing is the critical factor, how it wants to run in it's operating rpm range... much rather it run balls on, at higher rpm than at idle...

Another method many employ for timing is advance it in small increments, test run it, and just when it's starts to ping, back it off 2 degrees...

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have the adjustable, makes things so much nicer, although I shoot for 35 total.
    But for smog reasons you need to have the base timing within 3 degrees or you fail smog.
    :mad:

13. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

Hi-Jack...

I am about to start a motor that has been siting a long time with the balancer off. I put on a new balancer I bought on Ebay and want to mark it for TDC. If I use the TDC indicator thing that goes in the spark plug hole and get it to TDC how do I know I'm on the right stroke for TDC? Then do I turn the rotor in the distributor so its just before #1 cylinder? Should be ok to fire it up then right? Then I just fine tune by turning the dist. while its running? Sorry for the newb question...

Hi-Jack Off...

14. dmanblazer

dmanblazer 1/2 ton status

If it is a stock engine make sure it is set at 700 RPM