Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can I go to Canada and......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MudNurI, Sep 16, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Buy a Truck, and bring it back here to the US? Would I get hit with HUGE taxes etc??

the reason is-a Suburban in Canada- is

54,455.00 CAD
    which is equal to 34,422.21 USD

CAN I CAN I ????

PLEASE SAY YES!!!!

Brandy

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

nope, GM wont honor the warranty

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

talk to rene he would know how to do it he bought a blazer from texas and took it back to canada

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Why wouldn't they honor the warranty? The last truck I bought that had a warranty I was covered at any GM dealer...even in the US. What does it matter where you live?

Aside from that Brandy, you'll have to do what i did and contact US Customs and ask what is required, what duty or tax must be paid etc etc. Importing a vehicle that is new can be complex. The vehicles i brought into canada were both older than 15 years old so there was no real import fees. All i have to do is convert the instrumentation to metric and pass a VI (safety inspection)

Emission equipment may be non-complying in your area too...there are a lot of details. Start at US customs and go from there. They can point you at all the people you'll need info from.

Rene

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I gotta be honest with ya'

Those barn-doors just can't be worth it.

I have seen a few C/Ks with the barn-doors, not very meny but a few. All-most all the Silverado styles have 'em.

Check out your local state laws, call up the emissions center and see what they have to say, I would guess it's probably sixes, but I'm not sure.

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

shoot i was wrong. That was Chrysler that was not honoring the warranties because a lot of people were buying the car in Canada and bringin em to the US

7. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Brandy how would you feel about finding one at a salvage auction. They just may have one and it would be allot cheaper then on a car lot. I would guess depending on the damage. You would be amazed to see the smallest things total out a truck no days becuase of the dealer parts laws. Just a suggestion.

Is there anyway you could take a suburban and have the barn doors installed? Maybe from a parts truck? Maybe you could do a frame swap? (Even though thats allot of work /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif )

Have you looked online at dealers in other states? You could put in an email to some dealers of what you are looking for and what you would like to spend. Im sure someone would be able to find something for you if you have them check nationally.

8. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Okay the scoop is that NO I WILL NOT TAKE BARN DOORS... my reason's may be a little hard to believe but trust me on this...

1st- no rear window- here in VT, we have TONS of snow, and the rear defroster only melts it, the rear wiper removes it...with the way these things are designed, snow hangs out on that window.

2nd- you have a blind spot in your rear view...yes I'm married to a truck driver, and I use my outside mirrors, but still.

3rd- barn doors are for "girls"..the grocery gettters,etc.. I prefer a liftgate/glass. Obviously more people do now, since that is NOW a $$$$$ added feature- to the tune of msrp $280 for this option.

I would consider a salvage vehicle, I would consider a 94 with 150K miles, I would consider a 99 with 2000 miles, I don't really have any requirements other than NO BARN DOORS..

I was talking to a local GM Buy Power salesman yesterday, in regards to a 2003. I asked him what he could do in regards to working from invoice cost, vs MSRP...I got him down to 1100 over invoice- still to high for me. GM pays 3% holdback, on a $38,000 invoice, they already made 1140, I wasn't going to pay 1100 over invoice. no way no how. I guess I luck out because i don't NEED a new vehicle, I WANT one. Usually when someone shops for a car, they need one, and the salesman know this, I don't so I can drive away from the lot knowing that a better deal will be out there...

somewhere.

I checked on the customs website, says 2.5% tax, not to shabby, and you can use your $400 per person duty free limit as well, if I take 2 kids, and john thats 1600 worth of duty free tax....

I hadn't even thought that the guages etc..would be in metric.. that could be tricky!

I'll check with GM on the warranty info. I'd think they would cover it, I mean what if someone from Canada was visiting here, and needed warranty work? I know GMC and Chevy warranties are only done by that said brand, but will check on the canada us regulations

thanks guys
    Brandy

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

All this time I thought you WANTED barn-doors....
    Ahhhh!.... I got my self all confused.
    It is the other-way around. Most the Silverados have Lift-gates on 'em, while most the C/Ks have the barn-doors. Now, that I'm thinking right.

LOL
    ....and I'm sitting here amazed that you can't find one with barn-doors, we got 'em all over.

I'm going back to bed... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

*edited*
    Did a hood count at work, our current stock includes 18 suburbans, 3 had the lift gate option. (C/K bodys styles)
    I had no idea the ratio was so out of balance.

10. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Okay the scoop is that NO I WILL NOT TAKE BARN DOORS... my reason's may be a little hard to believe but trust me on this...

1st- no rear window- here in VT, we have TONS of snow, and the rear defroster only melts it, the rear wiper removes it...with the way these things are designed, snow hangs out on that window.

2nd- you have a blind spot in your rear view...yes I'm married to a truck driver, and I use my outside mirrors, but still.

3rd- barn doors are for "girls"..the grocery gettters,etc..

[/ QUOTE ] WTF /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif i love my barn doors, the "blind spot" is like 7" wide (not big enough to mess me up) and doors are not for grocery getters i'd rather have my barn doors than a tailgate any day /forums/images/icons/mad.gif i understand the snow thing but the grocery getter part was wrong.

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

So how do you get groceries?/forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Rene

12. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Okay muddysub, let me REPHRASE that.......

here in Vermont, the only people that have barn doors ladies that don't have the strength to open or shut a tail gate..

there is that better?

( i still think they are for grocery getters /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif)

Brandy

13. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Do a search at traderonlie I did a quick one within 300 miles of a VT zip I'm sure that out of the 500 Chevy and 453 GMC's that returned one will meet you spec.

14. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

never heard of traderonline.

will check it........ can't wait to go down to the GM Buy Power dealership Saturday...hopefully all goes well, and I end up with a brand spankin new one!

Brandy

15. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

16. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I just saw that traderonline redirects you to autotrader...... the problem with autotrader is that 99.9% of the suburbans listed are with barn doors. 1 of them I found had the correct rear doors, but had been sold.

Plus, 1 is still listed as available at a local dealer, and its been sold for 5 1/2 weeks now.

thanks though!
    Brandy

17. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    All this time I thought you WANTED barn-doors....

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too /forums/images/icons/confused.gif