Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I go wrong? (k5 purchase)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudrunk5, Oct 4, 2004.

1. mudrunk5

mudrunk5 Registered Member

A 1989 Chevy Blazer K5 silverado some rust/some bondo
    Desperatly needs paint, fender flares, tires, hubcaps, suspension, carpet, new front buckets(the ones in it are riped), dash, intieror trim, sound system.
    It has 306,000kms (210,000miles?)

It is the loaded up model, locking rear end, solid rear glass, buckets, ac, tilt, power windows, power locks, power rear window (working), 350tbi...

The engine is pooched(runs... sorta), but I have another one
    Im not sure if the frames cracked (famous steering box crack)
    600buxx canadain...
    Could i make it decent if i put 2,000 into it? I can tackle the bondo *I mean, body work... and paint isnt a problem...

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Heck yea for 600 bucks, what all do you plan to do to it?? offroading?? restoring??
    BTW welcome to CK5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The price is right IMO, but you're gonna need all of the $2K just to get it sorta decent again.

The question to ask is whether you want that much of a project. I can pretty much guarantee you the rust is 10 times worse than you think...

I'd have another look and pull the carpet up this time. Check where the front seat belts anchor to the body. Check the tailpan area. Check the inside of the rockers...they're prolly missing if there's any visible rust on the outer part. If there is bondo over the rear wheelwells you could be in for some serious repairs back there. Tailgate is likely cracked, and is also a common spot for rust...

Interior parts can be a pain depending on what your plans are. If you're looking to restify it somewhat they can get spendy. If you're not too fussy you might save some money there.

With a pooched motor and that many km's on it the tranny isn't gonna be great. 700R-4's are spendy to rebuild and don't have a great reputation in these trucks.

IMO, I'd think long and hard unless you're looking to build a trail rig.

Rene

4. mudrunk5

The plan
    Take it home, gut the intieror, shave the moldings, pound out any dents as best as posable, weld in patch pannels... hit it with some body mans best friend, primer, and let it sit.
    -2" body lift
    -Buy some 295 A/Ts
    -continue on the intierior by buying trim/stero/carpet/seats (maybe leather OBS chevy seats if they fit..)
    -Next step is swaping the engine out with my built 350.
    -fenderflars (maybe cutouts??)
    -Paint shop time, dark blue/matching hard top
    -undercoat
    -get new windshield installed.
    -Go rollin..

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

you could prolly do all that for 2K as long as everything else is in good shap(trans, rust???) stuff like that.

6. mudrunk5

Yea, its pretty beat up, and the rust has to be bad... tailgate is sad, but the motor still works for the rear glass.
    I know what your saying, ive already given up on one project (slammed 69c/10 street truck)
    I still have it, but its unfinished... Thats where the built 350 is comming from..
    The tranny must be pretty good, my buddy has a 89 Jimmy k5 and his hasnt busted yet... but his truck is in mint condision with low kms(like 120,000 to be exact).

Im bringing a magnet and a flash light if i got to look at it again...

I would rather a mint one, but I dont know if I can afford it, my buddy says he'll sell me his for 8grand.. hahha... no!... but its worth it with a 2,500dollar stereo system, 3,000 in recent parts.
    Maybe Saving money is the way to go, I just see myself giving up again.
    I go to school from 8-noon work from 12:30 till 6:30 then go home and have supper. I have 5hours of avilable time everyday to work on it, but it always gets eaten up with t.v./internet/socal life/homework. What will I do...

7. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Around these parts (AZ), you can get $500 for the TBI components, $500 for the radiator support, lights, grill, and bezels (if it has 89-91 dual headlights). Not to mention all the other stuff you could sell on it...

I would buy it for $600 just to part it out, at the least.

I am in the process of fully rebuiling a Junked Blazer. I am doing everything the "right" way so I am spending much more than needed to just get it on the road... Example, I swapped out good 3.08's for 3.73's which cost me $250. I did not *need* to do that so it could be considered *wasted* money.

I am in to mine about 5k and need to spend another 3 or 4 (engine, tranny, tcase rebuilds) to get it 100% mint.

Good Luck

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If I had to do it again i'd have bought a rust free AZ or Cali K5 either stock or mildly built and gone from there. I can't begin to tell you how much time, effort and money I have into getting rid of rust. The only part of my truck that hasn't been swapped/replaced body wise is the firewall and the hood. The hood is going soon. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I still have a few dents (seem to keep adding them.../forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif) and the truck is still flat black too.

Cut-outs are generally a waste of time and money...unless you're running 44's which is about the only time they even look OK (my opinion) Mostly they get smashed off-road. Save your money.

My advice is start saving, and spend your time while saving doing some research here. There are quite a few pitfalls many of us here would like to keep you from. A lot of us have done the whole deal the long hard and expensive way.

I'm not sure what part of Canada you're from (I'm from BC if you hadn't noticed) but mostly what I find here is by the time the rust is beginning to be visible on the outside of the truck it is almost a lost cause. The stuff that is hidden is usually way farther along...

Have a browse through the for sale forum too...plenty of very well built trucks have been selling in there for cheap lately (IMO).

Rene

9. mudrunk5

Im from around edmonton alberta.
    I have a daily driver so thats not a consern. I just want a k5.. lol..

Ive been seeing the autotrader swamped with older ones, but I want a TBI 88-91, quite expensive when in good condision.

One just 100kms south of me is advertised for 10,000dollars in 100% origonal condision with no rust or blemishes.
    The price of gas these days I might be able to get a nice one relitivly cheap.
    I'm thinking about calling that guy with the blazer and saying i'll give you 300buxx for it. My new intensions being to parting it out(but to keep some of the good stuff).

The rust is bad, and body work pisses me off(id shoot myself if I was a body man, nothing ever looks good enough)

The tinted solid side windows in the removable top have to be worth somthing.

The front clip is worth somthing (maybe buy a done up older one and swap the clips)

The tailgate motor is worth somthing.
    Stock alumium wheels are definatly worth somthing.

The 4x4 is great, no clunks or bumps in the trasfercase or front end with the wheels all the way turned on grass.

10. mudrunk5

This is what im after, Perfict condision
    [​IMG]
    This is my buddys 89 SLE jimmy.
    (see what I mean by the solid side windows in the removable top)

Basicly either way it will cost me 8grand(in relilty, Because Even if parts/truck ends up being 4,000-5,000 My time is worth somthing to)... Why dont I just save and get a gooder..

11. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Can you get a pic, if soo i might be interested in a trip to canada eh! I need a parts truck!