Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can i hammer carrier bearings on?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MattK, Jan 7, 2007.

1. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

i know the best way to do it is with a press, but it's sunday (local shop closed) and i would like to finish throwing together my d60 front today.

2. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can try it using a piece of wood to protect the metal but I'm thinking you'll need a press. Give me a call if you need a hand!

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Put the carrier in the ice box for about 20 minutes and the bearing in the oven @300 for the same amount of time. Have some gloves and be damn quick about it. It you have to tap it on use a brass drift or hammer. I use this method on pinion bearings and they will literally drop right into place.

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I heated mine on the BBQ and they slid right on with no problems. Be careful to not put too much heat on them which can damage the heat treat on the rollers. No direct heat if your wife wont let you do it in her oven the grill works just dont put them right over the fire. Oh it was a gas grill not charcole:D.

Ira

5. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i do the freeze/heat method all the time, working on our heavy equipment. it works.

6. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

rock on, ill give this a shot

7. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

How long do you think you need to freeze the carrier before it starts to help?

8. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

hot/cold trick worked great. i only left the carrier in the freezer for about 15 mins. bearings only took a few hits apiece to get on:D

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yup--heat n freeze!

I've used my wood stove to warm up tapered roller bearings used on Tecumseh cranks--I put the crank in the snowbank or in the freezer for awhile,then after 10 minutes or so when the oil in the bearings start to smoke,you can just drop them right on the cold crankshaft---90% of the time no persuasion from a hammer is ever needed..works slick!..

I find the stove to be a kinder,gentler heat than a torch is,and is less likely to draw the temper out of the bearings..but torches work too,if your carefull..

I once sold a customer a new wheel bearing for a big oil delivery truck --he called me back,said I sold him the wrong one--it was at least .010 smaller in I.D. than the axle it had to slide over..but when I matched the numbers off his old one,they were exact,it WAS the right bearing!..:confused:

I had him call Bower/BCA's "Tech Hotline",when I could offer no explanation...
    They told him to put the bearing on a 100 watt bulb for 20-30 minutes and try again...after telling them to stuff their 100 watt bulb idea up their butts,he had no better ideas,so he tried it--and much to his suprise, it slid right on!..:p: ..guess those things expand a lot with a little heat...we both learned something that day!..:crazy: