Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can i haul it???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevy4x4boy, Jun 20, 2003.

1. chevy4x4boy

chevy4x4boy Registered Member

hey guys,
    can i haul my 20 ft. race trailer with my 1/2 ton blazer with 3.73 gears or will i have to drop to a 4:10 gears to pull it. any help will be greatly appreciated!!! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

You could physically haul it, but your tow vehicle won't like it too much. We used to pull a trailer that weighed as much as the 1/2 ton 2wd chevy (had a 350) we used to pull it, with a Massey Fergueson M135 on it (comparable to a Ferd 9N). The truck HATED life! Top speed was about 40 to 45 mph, and slow getting there! Also depends on the vehicle you plan to tow with.

Kris

3. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

you could probably do with 3.73s, 4.10s couldnt hurt, biggest thing wouldnt be getting going, it would be gettin stopped. make sure your brakes are good

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Depends on what the trailer weighs, depends on how you drive, AND FOR GAWD'S SAKE GET A TRANNY COOLER! An auxiliary, BIG stacked-plate one like the $50 B&M one from Summit, plumbed separately from the one in the radiator -- don't use it. I know that's not what the instructions say, but don't.

Your tranny may live if you do that.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yeap, tranny won't like it one bit. Might be a good excuse to upgrade axles also. (Better gears, bigger breaks, ... ect.)

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Depends on what the trailer weighs, depends on how you drive, AND FOR GAWD'S SAKE GET A TRANNY COOLER! An auxiliary, BIG stacked-plate one like the $50 B&M one from Summit, plumbed separately from the one in the radiator -- don't use it. I know that's not what the instructions say, but don't.

Your tranny may live if you do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Can you rephrase?

7. chevy4x4boy

chevy4x4boy Registered Member

thanx for the info!! it's not going to be that heavy since all that i'm gonna haul is a couple of four wheelers for now so i think my truck will do fine. i will think about upgrading the gears and some bigger axles when i get my drag car to haul around. hopefully by then i will have the coveted 502 ram jet. man that thing is sweet!!!!

8. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

I haul my drag/show car on my 24' car hauler and do it fine. I have 3.73 gears with 33" tires. I do have a 383 stroker that is built for towing so that might make a big difference. I also tow my 20" bass boat and other things and never have a hard time.