Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I just buy greaseable bolts?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Jun 22, 2002.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a whole brand new bushing kit (I needed them for everything, not just springs, so I bought a kit). I wanted to go greaseable, but now I'd have to throw away good bushings to do so.

Will you just sell me the bolts?

I emailed a few weeks back but never got a reply.

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Im in the same boat, bought the whole kit. Id like to get the greasable bolts if they will sell them alone. Hopefully they will.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I bought the front shackle kit in greasable form but I am not happy with it so I have not installed it. The reason I am not happy with it for starters the shackles are the same length as my originals, seems GM decided to make the shackles longer in "89". Also if you look at the bolts where the grease hole is located when you have the shackle plates in place the grease hole in the bolt is not anywhere near the center of the bushing like the grease hole is in the bushing sleeve. My whole point is that I don't think that the greasable stuff is even worth the extra money. You would be better off greasing the non greasable stuff good before you put it together and be done with it.

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Scott the holes don't have to line up. When the area around the bolt gets filled the the grease will flow through the hole and into the area where the bushing is grooved.

5. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

Guys, I just "Never-Seezed" the $hit out of'em! Never had a problem and as you know, that stuff gets on anything...it's darn near impossible to get off! IMHO the greaseable stuff is overrated! Besides, I decided a non-drilled bolt has to be stronger than a drilled bolt!

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Well..I just got all new greaseable bolts and bushings,and I can't wait till I install it all!! YEAAAHHHHH!!!
    Don't hate the player, hate the game!

Thanks ORD!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If you try and use the greaseable bolts on a bushing set that the sleeve isn't drilled and bushing isn't grooved it won't work. You need the hole in the sleeve tube for grease to get to the bushing. And you need the grooves in the bushing for the grease to have a place to go to. So just buy the whole set and be done with it. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Several subjects seem to be coming up on this post, so in no semblance of order:
    You can buy just the bolts, keep in mind you need the right configuration on the rest of the parts, grooves, holes, etc. And we use 1/2" bolts for the shackles where factory replacement stuff uses a 7/16" bolt.

The grease holes don't line up between the bolt and sleeve, once you fill the sleeve with grease it goes out the hole in the sleeve regardless of where it is.

A bolt with a hole is weaker than a bolt with no hole. But under tension tests the threads still break. A hole in the center doesn't mess with strength much, that's why tubing works so well compared to solid stock.