Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can i just plug the transmission lines

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kw48653, Jun 2, 2006.

1. kw48653

kw48653 Registered Member

to the transmission cooler in my 89 tbi?

radiator has gone kapoot and i want to step up to a nice 4 core with an external tranny cooler.

but . . .

TODAY, i just want to put in the new radiator and wait till next PAYDAY to buy the transmission cooler.

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I dunno where you live but if you drive it around with no tranny cooler, you'll probably burn up your trans long before next payday. A 700R4 is not known for its tolerance to heat.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you tried to plug the tranny lines the truck wouldn't even move. The trans needs to cycle the fluid to complete the oil flow to allow the truck to move. You could however connect the lines together but like was already said it would get super hot and cook the tranny in a matter of minutes no doubt.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  4. kw48653

kw48653 Registered Member

anyone ever re welded the radiator

i've only got a mig. guess you can only braze brass to the core, no?

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Radiators aren't generally welded, unless it's an aluminum race radiator.
    They are either soldered or brazed.
    If the core is copper, you can solder or braze brass or copper to it.
    If it's aluminum, you can only solder or weld aluminum to it.

6. 4X4HIGH

What exactly is it that you're trying to do? If you're talking about were the tranny lines go into the radiator you don't need to do anything to them since they won't leak as it is just a cooler that is internal in the radiator and water can't leak out unless the cooler develops a leak.

7. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

HE is right just hook the external cooler up in front of the radiator or where it will get plenty of air flow. Most cop cars use and external Tranny and oil cooler so no problem.

8. 4X4HIGH

Just don't hook up an external cooler by itself, run it along with the factory radiator cooler. If you run only an external cooler the tranny will run too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. Also if the tranny doesn't get up to around 160-180* the tranny won't burn off any of the moisture or condensation build up.

9. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

The prefered method is run both the radiator and external cooler. But i was unable to do this. Mine has the radiator cooler, but i had metal fragments in it from the 2 transmissions that have blown up in my blazer. Each time using a cleaner to try and remove them, only for it to lock up the governer on my th350. So i now run an external cooler alone. And in texas we only have a couple days of freezing a year.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

what is the freezing temperature of transmission fluid? I assume its not identical to water. A sub-32 degree day here in Vancouver is exceptionally rare. If it snows and sticks, its usually during the night, lol.

At any rate, there may be a consensus and running trans fluid through the rad and external cooler but I'm not convinced that it is required for every user. I understand the theory that the engine coolant helps warm up the trans fluid.... but honestly, if the tranny can pump its fluid during the time that the radiator fluid is warming up (I know it isn't long... but it doesn't get to 170 degrees instantly either!) then I see no real advantage to running the trans fluid through the radiator. It may be a good idea on cool days to let your rig warm up for a few minutes before using the trans... but hey, I do that anyway.

I plan on running the big B&M cooler and a remote filter. I'll have a guage, if it ain't enough cooling I'll add a second cooler. I'd like to keep my radiator a seperate entity from my transmission.

j

11. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've been living with the "external cooler only" gig for a couple years now...

It's awesome in the summer, runs at about 170, 175...

But if it's 30, 25 degrees, etc, it takes FOREVER for the fluid to warm up, not a few minutes.. Even after running it hard for a 1/2 hr to hr, it will barely get to 150 if your lucky.. 15 minute run to the store? forget it, that gauge wont move off the 100 line....

I'm still up in the air on this one.. I'm concerned in the winter about condensation, but love the temps it runs at in the summer..

12. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

I have only the external cooler and it get to -40 in winter here sometimes. Other than shifting kinda hard its seems to be fine. All through the winter no matter how hard I drive the thing the gauge never moves. Except for the one time we towed another K5 on a car trailer in 4th gear. In summer it runs under 160 unless its a really hot day.