Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I just put longer shackle connect things to lift the front?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by weisel, Mar 22, 2001.

1. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Feb 22, 2001
    I don't know what they are called, but its the thing that connects the leaf spring to the mount. Can I put a longer one on to do the lift in the front?

Insurred by Smith & Wesson
  2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

May 9, 2000
    ORD sells shackles that are 1/2" longler than stock and also are stronger, and HIll 4wheel Drive sells some that are about 1" longer than stock.

I would go any longer than this because then you will be running into pinion angle problems and weak shackles....

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>
  3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Feb 24, 2000
    Yes, but you can only get maybe 1" of lift before you can start running into troubles with steering geometry, front driveshaft angles, and wandering/weakness problems.

First of all, you will only get half as much lift as the increase in length of the shackle. For example, if you install 2" longer shackles you will only get 1" lift at the wheel. The reason is that you are only lifting one end of the springs (the other end stays solidly attached to the frame = no lift). Since the axle, the point where you would measure the amount of lift at, is in the middle you only get half the lift.

This also causes problems with the steering. Increasing the length of the shackle rotates the entire axle assembly. This in turns throw off the alignment of the front wheels and can cause poor handling. A small amount usually isn't noticable.

The same issue affects driveshaft angle. Rotating the rear of the axle housing down increases the angle of the driveshaft and can cause vibrations or binding.

And finally, the wandering or weakness issue comes about if you use really long shackles. For example, if you used 4" longer shackles you create a long distance between the frame and the springs, this in turn puts more leverage on the shackle and can cause either the shackle itself or the bushings to deform much more (same result as having a worn out or sloppy suspension) when going around corners. The increased leverage also allows more of a chance of breaking either the shackles or the bolts holding them on.