Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I just take the AC compressor off?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, May 4, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I'll be installing a new steering pump this week and while I was at it I just wanted to take the thing above it off, it is the AC compressor, right? Can I still use the heater/defroster if I take it off? And what do I do with the hoses from the radiator that are connected to it?

2. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

your a/c comp should have 2 hoses, but they dont go to the radiator, they go to the a/c evaporator coil and (wink) it is against the law to release freon into the air. which is what will happen if you unhook those hoses from the compressor, but yes if the comp is removed your heater will work fine, and air will come out of the defrost, but the a/c compressor helps to remove moisture from the air inside teh truck and this makes the glass unfog much more eficiently.

3. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

So what do I do with the hoses from the evaporator coil? And all I have to do is remove the compressor and get a shorter belt, right?

4. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

depends on if you think you might ever want to hook it back up. if not you could cut the hoses off, or just tie them up out of the way. i gotta ask, why are you wanting to remove the compressor?

5. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I'm taking it off since I never use it, it just takes up space and I'd like to clean up my engine compartment a little.

6. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i personally would not remove it, and if you do remove it keep it and just tie up the hoses somewhere, but this is not going to help clean up the look under the hood. what year is your truck, because my 89 has the alt. above the ps pump and the a/c comp is on the passenger side

7. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

It's an 87. Alt is on pass side, ps pump is below ac comp.

8. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Look man keep the a/c compressor on and convert it into an onboard air compressor........easy deal and you will be the coolest guy in town!

9. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

OBA is exactly what I would do if I wasn't such a wuss for AC!! For what its worth, a lot of the Je*pers use 10 cfm York compressors off of Volvos. I wonder what our compressors put out? I think I'll do a bit of research on that.

10. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

well the reason yorks are used is because they have a closed oil crankcase. A little oil is still consumed in the process, but the AC systems on our trucks have the lubricant in the lines with the freon. By the way if you want pics of my setup just email me. - Doug