Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I just weld it on?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by tommy4902, Feb 24, 2006.

1. tommy4902

tommy4902 Registered Member

I have a 70 Blazer and I want to do a shackle flip but I know they only make the ones for the 73 and up blazers. Is there just a difference in the mounting hole locations or is there more to it? Could I just cut the old hangers off and weld the shackle flips in place without using the bolt holes with a mig welder? If I just weld the new ones on would i still need to remove the gas tank?

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

they make them for first gens

3. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

Yep, ORD and DIY4X both make them. :wink1:

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Werd

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

gu28010 is the part # for the flip.

6. tommy4902

Ok, so they do make one specifically for my year. How hard is it to drop the gas tank out to install the flip? Does stuff have to be disconnected or just can I remove the straps and get it out of the way enough to do the flip or not? If I could weld it on rather than bolting it on could I avoid moving the gas tank or is that a bad idea?

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i wouldnt weld with the gas tank right there. just take a day and drop the tank. the flexability of being able to move it later is well worth the extra 30 minute s to an hour spent dropping the tank

8. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Gas tank is easy to drop! There are 2 metal bands that hold the tank up. follow the bands up to the frame and on one side they hook into the frame and on the other there are nuts in the top side of the frame rail. Just take those loose and the tank will drop. A couple days or so before you are going to drop the tank squirt the threads with penetrating fluid and make sure they are clean so they will come off easier. Amazing how hard things come off after 35 years.

(you would be amazed at how many people also dont run the fuel tank low on fuel when they know they are going to drop it.) Much easier to remove and handle with little or no fuel inside.

However first you have to unhook the fuel lines which are probably just small hose clamps for the tank to the fuel pump lines and large hose clamp from the filler tube to the top of the tank. Also there should be a wire that goes to the sending unit (Near where the small hose connected). Just slide the wire off the blade.

Then remove the metal straps and you can drop the tank. While you have it down take the time to pull the sending unit and check the bag inside the tank that traps stuff. The sending unit comes out by turning a disc on top. You will see how the parts line up to pull the sending unit. while I had mine off I drained it and checked the condition on the inside and sanded down the outside and used por 15 chassis coat black on the outside of the tank to protect it from rust.

9. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    :haha::haha: gas fumes + welding = boom!

10. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

just out of curiousity...why weld?

11. tommy4902

I thought it would be easier than removing a gas tank.

12. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

I put ORD's flip on my '72 blazer without dropping the tanks. I had pretty nimble hands. I forget if I took off the straps or just loosened them alot--anyhow, it can be done without dropping the tank.