Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I make a winch work on this??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big pappa b, Jul 16, 2004.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I have a Smittybilt tube front bumper (pic below). Obviously no winch mount. Looking at that pic, do you think it would be possible to mount a winch without destroying the bumper??
    Reason I'm asking, I just got a great deal on a new winch and after just buying new tires and a trailer I'm pretty much tapped out and can't afford a nice winch bumper. I am will to sell this one if I can get closer to a real winch bumper. I've never owner a winch so I don't really know if I can make it work or if I should just hold out. These bumpers sell for almost as much a winch bumper without the functionality. I someone thinks they may want this..make an offer.

thanks

Oh yeah...bumper makers...support your troops /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    bumper pic

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

if you wanted to cut the bottom part of your grill you could probley mount one in there

could mount it upside down between the frame rails and use the cetner opening for you fairlead /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

What kind of winch did you get?? If you got one that has the same design as a mile marker you could just mount it in between you frame rails and mount you fairlead to the fron of the bumper, I think that would look sweet.

4. big pappa b

Yep, MM E12,000

5. big pappa b

Guess I'll be taking a better look at it next week when I get it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

dude.... nice bumper.. I have the same one...

I am going to cut the tubes and mount a roller fairlead into the bumper in the future.... then stick the winch behind the bumper.. and between the frame rails.. I will have to cut the radiator support and stuff.. but I will get it in there.. as it will look more streamlined and sweet...

I called and priced a MM12k hydraulic.. the guy gave me the dimensions.. so I am going to make one of these first..
    take a piece of steel... bend it or weld one together.. this is going to be tricky for me to explain but follow...

1. lay a piece of metal on the frame and bend down..
    2. then bend enough to hold the winch behind the bumper and into the radiator support enough..
    3. bend it back up and over the next frame rail..

basically it is like have ing a "U" but with a verticle line on the left and right to hold it onto the frame.. yes it will hang down a little bit.. but that can be worked on later.. hell put a body lift on and you can tuck the winch my way behind the bumper and behind the grill....

I am even going to do this with a 12k MM electric in the back...
    If you do not get what I am saying let me know.... I will try and draw it...

oh yeah when I talked to the company to buy a winch..
    he gave me the dimensions and it will fit between the frame rails.. the only problem is that the high/low selector will have to be locked as you cannot swing it... but hell put it in low and forget it.... It can work.. in 1 year I will be doing this...

7. big pappa b

Sounds like a plan. Most likely I will sell this bumper and just get a winch bumper. From who, I dunno. Depends on where I get the best deal or if my friend becomes really proficient with his new bender /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am in this same dilema. I have a prerunner style smittybilt bumper. Like this
    [​IMG]

I am just gonna cut out the center bar between the frame rails. I built this mount for the winch because I didn't want to cut my grille up. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif It also depends on what winch. The HS and TI have the housing over the drum so they don't fit between the frame rails as well.
    [​IMG]

This is just mocked up, but with the center bar cut out and a couple of new mounts it will sit back much closer to the body.
    [​IMG]

Not sure how it will look yet, but we'll see
    [​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Always love a chance to whore some pics of my new toy /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif