Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I Mount this SHOCK upside down?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sinchphoto, Aug 7, 2002.

1. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

2000 silverado. I dont know what shocks they are but i know they are gas shocks. Can these be mounted upside down????

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

if it is a bielstein(sp?) then it can be mounted upside down, dunno what the other modles of chevy's came with.

-Jeremy

3. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

should be able to...i run an upside down shock on my driver side rear...never caused any problems

Later

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Many types of shocks can not be mounted upside down. Most popular gas off-road shocks like Rancho, Pro Comp, Heckethorn will develop a dead spot because the oil will be in the wrong place to provide damping. This doesn't damage the shock, as running it right side up again will eventually get it back to normal operation.

I don't know about the kind you have, though. If you do mount it upside down, for clearance issues or whatever, you should probably disconnect one end after a month or so and see if it still works right.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Blue,

You may want to either check your facts, or be more specific when referring to which shock models can not be run upside down.

I know for a FACT that the Rancho 9000 can be run in either orientation. This is confirmed by reading the FAQ on Rancho's own website. This may not be true on their other models (like the 5000s) but I didn't care enough about that one to check it..... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

As far as I know, Nitrogen gas shocks can be used in either orientation. Not sure about race-style (Sway-A-Way) or reservoir shocks. Regular, unpressurized (cellular)shocks cannot. The best thing to do is check with the manufacturer. I'm probably talkin outta my butt though! Boy it stinks in here!

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

A twin tube shock can not be mounted upside down. A monotube can and a cellular gas shock can. You just have to know which kind it is.

You are right. The new Rancho's are cellular gas, so they are completely filled with oil, allowing them to run upside down.

ProComp ES1000 Hydraulic
    ProComp ES3000 Cellular Gas
    ProComp ES9000 Nitrogen Gas Pressurised
    Rancho RS5000 Cellular Gas
    Rancho RS9000
    Heckethorn Nitro Nitrogen Gas Pressurized
    Heckethorn Hydro Gas charged
    and so on...

I have tried mounting nitro charged shocks upside down and they develop big dead spots because the gas gets near the valve, where it's supposed to be filled with oil.

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Nice job on that list..../forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Almost seems like the kind of thing that should find it's way into some sort of Technical Article: "List of Shocks that Can and Can't Be Run Upside Down".....!!!

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

9. SLOK5

SLOK5 1/2 ton status

The REAL Answer

Ok Folks, I finally found my manual adjust dials today so off came the air lines to flip them body down (right side up). Two things, first there is an arrow at the bottom of the shock pointed down.... second is with the shock inverted (as I had it mounted), I confirmed what Tori had told me, no resistance (minimal at best) when actuating shock upside down. Flip it over and you get the resistance back. I put all 4 back to body down and set the dials at 6 . I took it on the same overpass that use to buck like a freaking bucking horse, even with the air set at 9! I took it to that same over pass and was like having my old blazer back. No bouncing at all! So of those of you that say yours work fine I say nay..... Try it yourself...hell just flip the fronts around .... you wont have to change any bushings, and see for yourself. I recommend you take it on that nice bouncy part of the road you know before and after. Im calling Rancho next and demand they send us some new air line kits as ours are too short now. Since their website stated the could be ran this way I think they owe us. Ill let you know what they say. [​IMG]

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

holy back from the dead thread batman!

j