Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I prevent my full topper seal from breaking???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka73, Jun 27, 2000.

1. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

I have never taken the top off (shame on me) I've had the truck for about 5 months now but the top has not been off yet, I dont know about the previous owner if he took it off or not, my question is, is there any kind of liquid or something that I can spray on the rubber before I take it off just in case it's really stuck so I wont break it, my truck doesnt leak at all right now and I would like to keep it that way for a while thanks guys.

ps. 73 K5

check out my new site, thanks Steve!
    http://chaka73.coloradok5.com

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Try to go slow when taking it off and spray the seal with Armor All or WD-40 before and during (if you have a helper) the removal. Before you put it back on coat the seal with Vasilne. Jim.

BigJBear '80 GMC

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Juan,

What the heck are you worried about? They tell me it never rains in California!! [​IMG] The seals on my '74 have big chunks missing, the top is loose and flexes all over the place and it still doesn't leak at all. It rains allot here too. I think all this "top leaking scare" comes from some conservative old farts or something....pull that puppy off.....enjoy the sun and wind!!!

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I just took the top off of mine tonight for the first time. I don't care about leaks so me and friends just ripped it off. Nothing happened to the seals. Just do it.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Alright guys I'm doing it this weekend and enjoy the sun, and Michael you're right here in California hardly ever rains and when it does the rain evaporates before it hits the ground so why am I worrying about it thanks guys.

check out my new site, thanks Steve!
    http://chaka73.coloradok5.com

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Thats good to hear Chaka. I'm having tons of fun with mine off and it looks kickass...esp with the rollcage sticking out now. And if you do ever move to a place where it rains alot, do what I did. I went to WalMart last night and got a 10x14 blue tarp to cover it up. My only other words of advice are get alot of friends to come over. It was me and 3 other guys and it still sucked. Long walk from the driveway to my backyard. My shoulders are so sore I couldn't stand to lift weights tonight. Good luck!

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad