Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can i put 35's on my k5??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wisconsin92, Nov 20, 2003.

1. wisconsin92

wisconsin92 Registered Member

can i put 35\'s on my k5??

i have read various articles dealing with tire sizes in relation suspension/body lifts and now i would like to know without a doubt if i can put 35's on my blazer with a 4" suspension lift. i have read that it is possible without any modifications, but i have recently read that it will need minor modifications. anyone that can help it would be greatly appreciated.

GO HARD OR GO HOME..... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Re: can i put 35\'s on my k5??

Maybe is the best answer we can give....35's fir on my Burb with a 4" TC EZ ride no problem....If I rammed around a lot, then I might consider trimming the fenders a bit.

Each application is different....

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You WILL need to trim the fenders if you wheel it hard, even with the swaybar.

The first cut is the hardest though, after that it's all good. By far, sawzall is the best mod I've ever made to my truck.

4. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

It kinda depends. Lots of lifts and tires dont measure theyre actuall size ( either high or low) lo if you had a low riding 4" and 35's that measure 35" or better you will probbly rubb with thetires turned at full flex. If your truck is mostly on road oriented, It will pretty much work nomatter what. If I was you i would do a 4" susp. lift and 2" body lift. THat will get you your clearance fo sho /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Ive got 35's on my worn out 4" lift. So yes the 35's will fit, but I have VERY little clearence between the tire and the fender. It rubs all the time. Comming into drive ways, going over curbes and sometimes when I turn it sharp.

Nick

6. wisconsin92

wisconsin92 Registered Member

i am planning on getting a rough country 4" lift. the tires i have in mind are interco thornebirds on 15x10 rims. i was on a website that offers a 1" body lift, which seems a touch meaningless since for a few dollars more i can get a 2" body lift that seems a little more sensible. any input with that info??? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

GO HARD OR GO HOME.....

7. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

if you went with the 4 inch sus lift and 2 inch body. you would be ok. You would clear the 23's easy. I dont really like body lifts but 2" and under are alright.

Nick

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Might want to do a search on thornturds...err I mean stuckbirds...stuckturds?

Waste of money, especially if you are buying new. If you find an absolutely smokin deal then I'd consider them but they'd need some major grooving to work half decent.

Rene

9. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Picking up my lift from ORD in a bout three weeks. Going 4inch. Tried to buy some 37's but the money didn't work out. 35's will go on instead. Im MY opinion, 35's are like training wheels. They'll work for a while, but pretty soon, your friends will start making fun of you. I hope to have 1-ton running gear in the spring, then the 37's are coming. Probably not gonna do much more for lift, I'd rather trim away and help that rubber stay on the ground. It all depends on how much you like sheetmetal. I've seen a lot of rigs run 4inches and 35's with very minor trimming of the fenders, but I can honestly say that if you wheel anything besides mud, you will rub somewhere...

Just running my mouth again...
    John /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Im MY opinion, 35's are like training wheels. They'll work for a while, but pretty soon, your friends will start making fun of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a way, you're right.

However....

Don't upgrade just because your friends think you can't make it where they could. I followed my buddies for years on 35s and they all had 38-44" tires. I finally want to 38s because I really wanted a set of Swampers, already had 1 ton axles, and figured why not go bigger?

Now I'm trying to resist the urge to go too big, it gets addicting.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i am planning on getting a rough country 4" lift. the tires i have in mind are interco thornebirds on 15x10 rims. i was on a website that offers a 1" body lift, which seems a touch meaningless since for a few dollars more i can get a 2" body lift that seems a little more sensible. any input with that info??? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

GO HARD OR GO HOME.....

[/ QUOTE ]Rough Country ???? I highly recomend that you check the ORD web site out for thier Tuff Country Springs and shackle flip befor you waste your money on Rough Country.

12. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i have 35s that actually measure 35". they are made by
    mugul and do great. i have a 4" ruff country lift and
    i have plenty of room. i have not yet to rub , but i havent really wheeled it yet. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Might want to do a search on thornturds...err I mean stuckbirds...stuckturds?

Waste of money, especially if you are buying new. If you find an absolutely smokin deal then I'd consider them but they'd need some major grooving to work half decent.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

I will concur with Rene about the Thornbirds. Do a bit of research on them first. You won't find many good reviews. My guess you'd be better served with any of these- Goodyear MTR's, BF Goodrich MT/KM's, Pro-Comp MT, Super Swamper SSR's, Parneli Jones Dirt Gripz, and similar other tires in the 35" range.

And yes 35's will fit with 4". However they will rub going over curves, around sharp corners ect. It'll scare ya the first time it happens if you've never heard it. Don't worry about it much, it's a good way to find out how much and where you need to trim. Just look for the tire marks on rear edge of the fender lips- Thats where the rubbing will be, and where you need to trim. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

14. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Maybe a picture of where the trimming would be is appropriate-
    [​IMG]

You can kinda see the angled cut in the circle. I did that to clear 33's on a 4" lift, with pretty heavy wheeling. The same might be appropriate for you. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

By the way welcome aboard. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I've got to say that rough country is about the stiffest riding spring out there, right in the league with Pro-comp. And thornbirds? Worthless on road and off. I bought a set new and kicked myself during the entire 20K mile life of the tires. As for what will fit, generally narrow tires on less deep dish rims will fit much better than wider on deep dish rims.

16. triger

triger 1/2 ton status

<font color="green">I have got 35's and a four incher and it is real tight and does rub when flexing hard...

[​IMG]

Might want to go 6 inches and be average sized... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

T </font>

17. Curtis2kul

Curtis2kul Registered Member

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

i have exactly what you want, a 4inch(all springs) rough country springs and 35inch thornbirds on 15x10 rims, it rubs all the time , i Hate it. It really sucks /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif But with a 2inch body lift, it will be ok

18. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i have exactly what you want, a 4inch(all springs) rough country springs and 35inch thornbirds on 15x10 rims, it rubs all the time , i Hate it. It really sucks But with a 2inch body lift, it will be ok

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree about the body lift. i do agree that any sort of wheeling you will rub. i could rub my 33s on 5" of lift during moderate wheeling. the body lift and fender triming will acomplish the same thing but the body lift is gonna make you sit 2" higher. thats gonna make you less stable. cuting the fenders however, will make you sit 2" lower and you wont still rub. thats my .02 cents

19. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

yea cutting would be better. Im gonna do it soon.

20. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Im MY opinion, 35's are like training wheels. They'll work for a while, but pretty soon, your friends will start making fun of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a way, you're right.

However....

Don't upgrade just because your friends think you can't make it where they could. I followed my buddies for years on 35s and they all had 38-44" tires. I finally want to 38s because I really wanted a set of Swampers, already had 1 ton axles, and figured why not go bigger?

Now I'm trying to resist the urge to go too big, it gets addicting.

[/ QUOTE ]

After watching your video I think you and your friends need to put the training wheels back on /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

And to the other post above, going from 35" to 37" is hardly a jump in tire size that sets you apart from the 35" club.