Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can i put an interval switch on my wiper motor?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mr_fujisawa, Feb 1, 2004.

1. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

i have an 88 custom deluxe k5 and it has the hi/low/off options. i am wondering if i can put a silverado style switch in there that would do interval as well as hi and low. is there anything i shoul know before doing the swap?
    currently my wipers work in high mode and sometimes (but not often) in low mode, so the switch needs to be replaceed anyway.
    thanks in advance
    sean /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I believe that you can. Behind the switch is a box that controls the delay. You just swap in the whole assembly. I have a spare assembly on the shelf in case mine ever dies.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i have an 88 custom deluxe k5 and it has the hi/low/off options. i am wondering if i can put a silverado style switch in there that would do interval as well as hi and low. is there anything i shoul know before doing the swap?
    currently my wipers work in high mode and sometimes (but not often) in low mode, so the switch needs to be replaceed anyway.
    thanks in advance

[/ QUOTE ]

I would check the service manuals to see if there is anything else required.
    But is should be feasable since it was an option in that year, it should be a bolt on plug in deal, just need to figure out all the parts.
    I will check to see if I can find something for ya in my manuals.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. mr_fujisawa

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    thanks in advance

[/ QUOTE ]

I would check the service manuals to see if there is anything else required.
    But is should be feasable since it was an option in that year, it should be a bolt on plug in deal, just need to figure out all the parts.
    I will check to see if I can find something for ya in my manuals.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

sweet!
    thanks issaam. you da man! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well after checking the diagrams, it seems that there is a series of resistors wired in sequence and the position of the twisting part of the handle dictates how much current, thus controling the speeds and delays and since the handle seems large enough to fit and there is no other reason I think for it being that big, then I say it's in the handle.
    Now since all manufacturers have options, they build the harness and the parts to handle the highest option so if they have nothig different in the motor itself, I can say change the handle and you'll be fine.
    Now when you go to the parts store ask them if there were 2 different motors for the delay or non delay type, if there is then you need both, but I doubt it.
    And the biggest problem now is,...........
    It's not easy to replace since it involves taking apart the steering column, that is why they didn't include it in te haynes manual, since they did this one for dummies.
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Good luck and if you need help in the column, there is a post here that deals with taking it apart and fixing the tilt column part, that goes beyond the wipers switch, do a search you'll find it.

6. Ben

Ben Registered Member

I'd like to know how the original poster comes out on this. My K5 came with NO interval wipers. The t-signal arm busted last year so I ordered a new one with the cruise control switch and interval wipers thinking I'd install them. So, I've got one part of the puzzle! What other parts do I still need for the interval wipers?

7. mr_fujisawa

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd like to know how the original poster comes out on this. My K5 came with NO interval wipers. The t-signal arm busted last year so I ordered a new one with the cruise control switch and interval wipers thinking I'd install them. So, I've got one part of the puzzle! What other parts do I still need for the interval wipers?

[/ QUOTE ]

well, it seems like from what issaam is saying that you can just wire the new control arm into the steering column and you don;t have to replace the wiper motor as well.
    i only have a custom deluxe which has no tilt steering so i think it might be a little easier for me than those that have the tilt. dunno yet though. but when i get this project started i will re-post as to how it went.
    sean
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. Ben

Ben Registered Member

But, don't we without interval wipers still need the interval "control box???" Or will just using the new t-signal switch with the interval function work? Now my wipers work just fine with the new arm, but no interval even when I twist the t-signal arm to the interval setting.

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    But, don't we without interval wipers still need the interval "control box???" Or will just using the new t-signal switch with the interval function work? Now my wipers work just fine with the new arm, but no interval even when I twist the t-signal arm to the interval setting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said in the schematics it doesn't look like there is anything else other than the motor and the switch and since mine is the same as shawn's, no delay, I can't check the motor to see if it's different.
    The only way I can check is to go to the parts store and ask to see if the part numbers for the motor is the same for both types or different.
    Sean let us know what you find out.

I do by the way have a control box that was aftermarket to be retrofit on pre 80's style and it's an external box you wire and place under the dash, it looks ugly too.
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

On the earlier delay trucks (ones mounted on the dash) you had to replace the swtich on the dash AND add in the "delay" module.

In the later trucks with the column mounted switch, I'd bet the non-delay trucks lacked the module (for obvious reasons) so you should change the turn signal stalk, add the module, AND I think change a piece in the column.

IIRC, the wiring for the wipers comes off of the turn signal switch or the piece that the turn stalk pivots on for the high beams. The only wires hanging off of the turn signal stalk are the ones for cruise. Delay, non-cruise turn stalks have no wiring in them.