Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I put the clutch linkage from 2wd into my 4x4 Steve Chin? Anyone?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72Blazerod, Jul 6, 2002.

1. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

Will 2wd linkage fit if I can get all the pieces? The pivot ball on the block would mount farther back and allow my to used the stock exhaust mainfolds from the 1990 Vette engine I am using. Has anyone done this before?

Thanks,

Rod

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If you want I can email you a pick of my '70 K5 with mech. linkage. I used a mix of 2x4 and 4x4 parts to put it together.

3. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

That would be great if you could send me your pics. I was afraid that the geometry and angles would be all wrong if I mixed and matched. Can you tell me which pieces were 2wd and which were 4x4? Thanks, 70!!!

Rod

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

When I first did a conversion it was to a K20 with no fenderwells. Then when I cut up that rusted POS body truck I moved the parts over to the K5. If I remember right the only diferent piece was the rod that went from the Z bar to the TO bearing fork. All the holes were in the firewall and on the frame even though my Blazer was a factory auto truck. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Did those pics help? Were you able to tell which boss on the block was used? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

No, iot won't work. Many of the 2WD parts and 4WD parts interchange, but the problem is that the countershaft pivot *needs* to be mounted in the forward boss (under the #7 spark plug) because the frame pivot is mounted there. The 2WD trucks place the engine farther forward, which allows them to use the rear boss (like in most passenger cars).

Dump those manifolds and get a set of headers that will fit a 4WD 4-speed 4x4 or obtain a set of proper manifolds for a 4x4.