Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I run 33x14.50x15 Boggers on 8.5x15 rims

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cegusman, Jul 11, 2001.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Can I run 33x14.50x15 Boggers on 8.5x15 rims?

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't try it - A good rule of thumb is never to exceed rim width by more than 4", preferably 2". I ran 33X12.50's on 7" rims once, and popped the bead with alarming regularity. Go with a 15X10 at the minimum for a 14.50.

<font color=red>Cripplefight!!</font color=red>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A> Updated finally[​IMG]

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Not a chance. If you are interested, I have some 15x10 wheels for sale. They lack some in the cosmetics department, but would fit those tires nicely. Here is a link to a pic <A target="_blank" HREF=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com/images/frtpsgr.jpg>http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com/images/frtpsgr.jpg</A>. I am asking $100 for the set. They balance nicely and are straight with no scratches or nicks, they just need a deep polishing job. And, since I am in Dallas, shipping to you would be quite cheap. Interested? Send me a PM.

brian

85 GMC Jimmy, 305 w/TH700-NP208, 4" lift, 35X12.5 BFG MTs, 15x10 Hellcats, Smittybuilt tube nerf bars and bumbers

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Though not ideal (10" rims would probably be better), I think you could get away with it.

Concerning the so-called rule of keeping the rim width within 2", when it comes to tall off-road tires this isn't really practical. The taller the tire is, the more room you have concerning proper rim width. For example, a really low profile 50 series tire with a 3" tall sidewall would require a rim width pretty close to the tire width....there's just not enough sidewall to stretch to fit a rim of a drastically different width. A 33" tires with a sidewall 9" tall has a lot more leyway. It's kinda the same theory with driveshaft angles, long wheelbase trucks can be lifted higher than short wheelbases before driveshaft angles become an issue because the longer the length, the less effective angle they have for the same lift height.

I have seen several guys in our club try to use 12" wide rims with 15.50" wide tires.....the 12" rims are just too wide, making the tires balloon out and causing troubles with losing the beads. Typically a narrower rim will keep the tire beaded better so I don't understand how a 7" rim with a 12.50" tire would just lose a bead all of the time.

With the common 12.50" wide tires, most people in our club prefer somewhere around an 8" rim. Again, 10" wide rims can cause some more problems with losing the bead and the outer lip of the rim can get beat up. I personally run 10" wide rims on 12.50 tires, and for ideal use the rims are too wide but I wanted the option of possibly going to a 15.50 tire in the future.

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

When I bought my second Blazer it came with 15x7 rims with 33x12.50 tires. It looked retarded and the tires didn't wear evenly at all. I imagine your setup would be just as bad. Go buy some 15x10s.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Yes , you can. Not a problem !

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Uneven tire wear can be caused by many other things besides rim width. I've personally seen many 12.50 tires on 10" rims with weird wear patterns, most likely caused by improper alignment, lack of rotation, or worn steering components. I ran 11.50 tires on 7" rims for years and noticed no difference in wear a compared to 12.50 tires on 10" rims. The difference between an 11.50 and 12.50 wide tire is really pretty small (an extra 1/2" on each side of the rim), so I can't imagine having any drastically different wear characteristics.

8. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

This was the only time I had any 33x12.50 tires wear weird was when they were on those skinny rims. I had a few sets on that truck and the last few were on 10 inch rims. Even if you are right about them wearing OK, they looked like crap. The sidewalls bulged out so much, I hated the way it looked.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad