Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I run 87 700R4 on a non-computer truck?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txbartman, Aug 6, 2003.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have an 81 K20 (no computers) and am lookign at installing a 700 (in place of the 465). The 700 I am looking at is from an 87 Blazer. Can I run this tranny in my K20 w/o any electronics? Or will I need to run some wiring to the tranny?

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I put an 87 in an 80. All you NEED is the TV cable. If you want to have the converter lock-up you will have to wire it in. There are kits available out there that are plug and play (with you supplying 12V, ground, and vacuum source). I chose to wire it up for full manual control, and you should be able to find information on that on the web (that's what I used for reference).

In 87, they were still considered 700r4's. I'm not sure what exactly the difference is with the 4l60's (electronic version), maybe somebody can elaborate (was it just electronic speedo output, or more than that)?

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

They have been using the 700's since around 84... I have 2 vehicles(well one now) that have 700's in them with no computer. B&M, TCI, GM all make a kit you can buuy to use the 700's in non-comp vehicles. The only thing that the computer controls on these early models is the torque converter lock-up for OD... I had the B&M one in my p/u, not a bad unit.. A little on the pricey side and and it could be 100% manual or autoatic depending on wher eyou had it set. Check into the GM one first.... I talked to a highly reputable tranny place and they say you dont want to run the tranny in OD without the converter bineg locked up or you will burn up OD...

One other route you can look into is a converter that is made tso it doesn't need to be locked up to control OD. My friend has one of these and it seems to work fine....

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. Figure you two would be the ones to provide me with the info! That's knowledge I can trust! I figured it was just the lock-up. That is the only thing I have on the one in my 85, but 87 added a lot of computers for the TBI and such. Wasn't sure if there were any additions for the tranny as well. Sounds like the 700 only has electronics for lock-up, and the 4L60 was the fully computer controlled unit.

5. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

As others have said this tranny will work in non-computer controlled vehicles. My cousin and I put one in a '55 chevy p/u with a carb'ed 350. Runs like a top and is especially nice at freeway speeds.

IIUC, in 1990 or 1991 GM began referring to the 700r4 as a 4l60 same unit (hydraulic tranny / electronic torque converter lock-up) when they changed to the full electronic transmission (I forget which year) they added the designation of "4L60e".

As for the torque converter lock-up wiring harness, if you need one I have a brand new one I purchased with my BTO tranny that I didn't need. Comes with directions, relay, etc. PM me if you are interested.

Lance