Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I run a part time kit w/out changing out the hubs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shane74, Oct 30, 2002.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Will it hurt anything? I would only do it long enough to get the premium hubs and install them (probably a month or so).

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It won't hurt a thing as long as you keep the transfer case in 2WD on hard, dry surfaces. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Why don't you just leave the part time kit locked in 4wd until you get the hubs? If you leave it in 2wd, it will just spin the driveshaft and transfer case chain - it shouldn't be a problem either way.

4. HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic 1/2 ton status

no it wont hurt anything just look at it as being in two wheel drive with the hubs locked i do that all the time when im out wheeling or going out to the store to get more beer and taking it back to camp

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The part time kit eliminates the differential inside the t-case that lets you run 4WD on pavement. So he can't run the t-case in 4WD on the road or he'll have major driveline windup issues. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The part time kit eliminates the diferential in the Tcase, so you can run the truck with the hubs not changed as long as you don't shift it into lock position, that is how the kit works.
    If you shift into 4HI or 4LOW you are 2wd HI or 2wd LOW.
    If you shift into Loc, then you are 4wd respectively.
    So yes you can. You will just not benifit of anything since you will be turning everything anyway /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Soooo I would say, wait till you get the hubs so you can benifit from the swap, unless this is your way of spreading the work on more time.

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The part time kit eliminates the differential inside the t-case

[/ QUOTE ] </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The part time kit eliminates the diferential in the Tcase

[/ QUOTE ] bizarre!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

8. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Yep, it is bizarre. There is a differential with zillions of bearings and some spider gears inside the NP203. All the bearings and spider gears were removed from my 203 for the 2wd conversion and the front spins freely now unless it is locked in 4wd. Look at the exploded view of an NP203 sometimes and you will see all the bearings and other parts in the differential.

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Sorry I wasn't copying you just trying to explain things in another way, the common thing being that sentence.
    I am sure I don't have to say as he said, since every one sees that your post is before mine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys! I didn't think it would hurt anything, I just wanted to make sure was all. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have a write up on converting a 203 that I hope to post by the end of the week in the members forum. Should post on the main site not long after that. Just need to do finnal proof on the text and get the pictures up on the web.

12. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Got $40
    I have a set of premiums that don't have much time on them.
    I'm runnin external hubs so I can't use em.
    I work in P-town and am no hurry to get rid of them, sh!t it will prolly take me half the day to figure out where I stashed em. LOL
    Anyway shoot me a PM if ya want em.

13. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Thanks Grim! The write up would be very cool to have. We'll see if the claims for better gas milage are true. Actually, the only reason I'm doing this is because my auto hubs are original and they don't work correctly anymore and to save on wear and tear on my front drive train. My front driveshaft is going on me, so I need it to last just a little bit longer.

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

What auto hubs?
    Your truck is a 74 right? then you have solid hubs not auto.
    They are basically a ring, with splines on the inside and the outside connecting the hub to the shaft permanently.
    GRIM: nice to hear you will be doing proofing on the article before publishing it, I hate it when I go to a web site and it's full of mistakes that a simple reading would have discovered. I know that on a message forum it's ok becuase we're just trying to answer fast, and including me we all could have butter fingers and type letters before others or not touch the key and miss a letter, but an article should always be proofed.
    Keep up the good work. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

That's what I meant.... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah my proof reader(wife) has been dealing with a sick 20 month old and is now sick herself. Did a little of the photo editing last night. Should have the photos done tonight and hopefully the Lady will have had time to Proof this today.
    My problem I write the way I talk. When I proof I run right throught it and in my warped mind I don't see the mistakes.