Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I run my speakers off of the RCA outputs

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Parf, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Parf

Parf Registered Member

I just got all of my stuff today!!! I want to keep the truck hardcore, you know, spray it out with the hose, take the water crossing, etc., but I need quality roadtrip sound too. I decided to go with the slightly cheeseball J.C. Whitney plastic sterio headliner. It has 4 openings for 4" speakers (2 angled at either side of the drivers head, and 2 at the passengers), an uncut bay to put the head unit in, and another smaller uncut bay directly infront of the driver that would hold about 5 autometer 2 1/4" gauges. I figgured that this setup would hopefully remain out of harms way.

My order from Millionbuy.com arrived today with a Kenwood KDC MP-919 headunit, and 2 pair of infinity kappa 42.5i 4" coaxials.

My question is this: since the speaker wires that come off the the Kenwoods harness are only like 16-18 gauge, can I directly run my speakers off of the much larger RCA outputs? I'll just put a little piece of heatshrink over the harnesses ends, and forget about them.

Sound good?

2. wahbob

wahbob Registered Member

Unfortunately not. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

3. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

RCA outs are line level outputs for the amps. You gotta use speaker output leads.
    Bill C

4. Parf

Parf Registered Member

Yeah, and in the end I guess it dosen't matter anyway. The wires on the external crossovers are the same gauge as the ones in the harness, so it wouldn't help much.

Well, I've got the speakers mounted. They were too big to fit next to each other in the middle of the headliner, so I had to space them down about an inch. I cut the hole for the head unit with my dremmel, and it looks really nice. Tomorrow I will hit the wireing and get it all ready to go in. I also need to remove my current headliner now because I want to paint my plastic trim pieces before I reinstall them.

I hope the base doesnt suck too bad with just 4- 4" speakers. They only go down to 75Hz /forums/images/icons/frown.gif I guess we'll see.
    I hope to have some pics up tomorrow.

5. Tweetysuarus

You really must be a FNG /forums/images/icons/confused.gif at stereo's!
    Bill C /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

What does FNG mean....?

Can I get one for my system?...... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Is it a car wax, or an insult, or an electrical specification???

7. Rebel-Rider

Rebel-Rider 1/2 ton status

hey youll love that mp3 player i have the same one and its great you didnt pay too bad of a price but seeing how you live in colorado you should contact (tell them adam N sent you for a good price)
    Luxury Auto Sound in Loveland, CO 418 S Lincoln Ave or call them at (970) 667-6411 or go online caraudiocrazy.com they always have great prices on everything i paid $340 for mine and 20 for shipping it was a very good check them out if you get time
    /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. Tweetysuarus

FNG= F'n New Guy! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Bill C /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

9. Greg72

Heee Heee Heee!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. Tweetysuarus

Hows the Big Block coming along? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif Hope your not have too much trouble or fun which ever the case may be? Looks like an awsome rig otherwise.....I wished I had a pre 75 Blazer, But I'll settle for my 76 for now til the deal o' the century hits me! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. Greg72

Looks like I'm going to get those "stolen" cubic inches back.....(my 427 is actually a 396!)

I was just told about a complete 454 locally for $500! It might need some work, but probably no more than the existing motor.....and from what I've been told the parts are interchangeable, so I can take the best of each and make something decent for MOAB!!!

I snuck outta work early today, so I'm already starting my weekend wrenching...... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

12. Tweetysuarus

For shame on you! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I you find another 454 for that little let me know I want a BBC in my rig.