Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can i sandblast aluminum???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NITRO, Apr 29, 2003.

1. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

The roll bar in the bed of my p/u is made out of aluminum and the clear coat started to chip off and look really bad on the top where it is exposed to the sun. i tried using a brillo pad, but it just isnt working. would it be safe for me to use silica sand to sand blast it? i just need to get it down to the aluminum so i can either recoat it or wax it with mothers. thanx

NITRO

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Some type of media like plastic would work better. If you can find some baking soda specifically for blasting, that would be the BEST method. Sand is a little harsh on aluminum.

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

...just depends how pitted you want it...

4. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i just wanna get this gay clear coat off so i can get it good looking again in time for the photo shoot for the CK5 calender(hopefully i can get in there and in petersons /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif). will paint stripper hurt the aluminum?

NITRO

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Look in your local Pep Boys/AutoZone/CarQuest/NAPA type store, in the paint & body section, and get a can or two of "aircraft paint stripper". This is safe on aluminum, as long as you follow the instructions and don't leave it on the metal for too long. Just long enough to soften up the "gay clear coat" ( /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif) so you can scrape it off with a plastic putty knife. Be sure to wear thick rubber gloves and safety glasses, don't breathe the fumes too much, and have plenty of fresh water nearby to rinse the stripper off your skin if you get some on you. You'll know instantly if any gets on you, or if you're breathing too many fumes... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    This stuff is a hazardous chemical, and the leftovers are considered hazardous waste, so if you live near any tree huggers or eco-nazis, use caution.

6. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

Sweet man. ill look into that. thanx a lot

NITRO

7. alesko

alesko Registered Member

After sripping, try polishing with BUSCH ALUMINUM POLISH, this stuff will make it shine like chrome. It smells like bubble gum and is almost effortless to use. Way better than mothers. Trust me.