Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can i still go to canada...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by colbystephens, Jun 25, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

without a passport? i need to go up there in late july, but don't have a passport. is it still doable w/ a birth certificate and license? last time i went i just showed them my expired passport (december) and they either didn't notice, or didn't care. i didn't notice till a couple weeks ago. :) oh well. anyway, anyone know the answer to my question?? maybe rene will have to smuggle me in and out. :D

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You don't need a passport either direction yet. As far as I know passports will be mandatory for Canadians coming south starting in 2008, but I've heard of no plans to make it mandatory for Americans coming north.

Birth certificate and a DL should be plenty.

Rene

3. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure you have to have a passport now. You may be able to find out by looking up the state departmant website

4. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Taking I-5? Should stop and see me if you are!

But only if you're bringing your wife. ;)

5. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Registered Member

If you are a US citizen all that is needed is a Govt. issued ID ie Drivers license and you birth cert. Your passport even though expired is still good for travel to and from Canada, and when you return with your treasures you will either declare your goods on a form 6059b, 7523 or just by telling the officer what you got. don't worry aboot filling anything out in advance.

As far as the passport requirment the word is 2009, it was 2008 but it keeps changing nothing set in stone yet.

6. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

And he would know.

7. colbystephens

thanks guys. TSGB - we might stop in for some grub or something. i'll have my pretty lady along, so you don't have to stare at my ugly mug. :D i'll pm you aboot it as time gets closer. i think i'll probably be heading up that way the evening of the 21st, and depending on if Rene wants me in late that evening or early in the morning of the 22nd, i might find someone to stay with in the seattle area. :D thanks guys.

8. tRustyK5

I'd say sometime on the Saturday would work best. I may have to work in the am (we're swamped at work) but could be home by shortly after 12 pm.

Rene

9. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

american citizens DO NOT! need a passport to enter canada.

Requirments are as follows

1) no criminal record
    2) you have a drivers liscence and abirth cert to prove identity
    3) you can prove that you intend to leave at some point

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

man,i remember when you just told them you were going over for spagetti dinner.it is 21 to drink here and 19 in CANADA.:laugh:

11. colbystephens

ok, so anyone want to host me and my hot wife (:D) in seattle on the nite of the 21st? :) She'll be sleeping with me tho. :wink1:

12. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    Your wife can have the king size bed, you get the dog house...

Criminal record is OK, as long as you declare it. Think about the truck drivers. Mexicans have no criminal record, nor did 9/11 hi-jackers

720 BH & Mugs digigng 012.jpg

13. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I am in the Dallas airport waiting for my flight to Canada. Birth Cert and DL were all that was needed as stated. Anyone know of a good Adult Review in Calgery?

14. CustomChevy

incorrect. Remember Bob Probert (renouned tough guy from the detroit red wings). He was unable to play in games in canada for a few years until he got a pardon for something ... I forget what it was.

Also, my sister is a Customs Officer, and assures me that you are NOT allowed in with a record.

15. tRustyK5

You need to declare your criminal record...and at that point it is up to the customs agent and what the record is for. Insider trading I doubt they'd care about it, but being the uni-bomber on parole would prolly get your access to Canada denied.

Probert got caught coming into Canada with cocaine, prolly personal use...but it was enough to prevent him from playing any hockey games in Canada for a few years.

Rene

16. CustomChevy

I'm sorry to keep pushing this, But I would really hate to see someone get turned away at the border for advice they herd here and there.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/faq-inadmissibility.html

Current Canadian Immigration criminal inadmissibility FAQ.

Bascily the only way you are gettin into canada with ANY kind of a record (yes that includes DUI) is if you apply for and are granted rehabilitaed status. You are not allow to even apply until 5 years after your conviction is served (IE: you get out of jail in 2006 ... you may not apply as rehabilited until 2011).

17. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

Inadmissable bcuz of Criminal Record, what a joke...

As some one that has crossed the border since I wuz a kid, starting in the late 60's, I have alot of experience. US cutoms and immigration are ALOT tougher, and always have been on immigration (people) issues. Canada was and is tough to the point of total stupidity on customs (goods) issues. If you'd go to a US shopping mall near a Canadian border on a summer wknd, you'd be amazed at the Canadians removing price tags and hiding their booty from the Gens d'armes. I'll post some pix this wknd, as I live near such a mall.

If Ca. immagration kept out those folks w/criminal (un-rehabilitated) records, there wouldn't be any truck traffic, as the truckers would blockade the border. Trucking is like construction workers, good place to start after a life of... (don't email or comment about truckers/const wrks w/o records, I'm well aware...)
    A good friend of mine wuz a career bank robber back in the 60's. I've crossed into the States many times with him. When asked about arrest record, (nb; not conviction record), he always told the truth. He never even applied for a Ca pardon, which US Govt wouldn't even accept. And this dozens of times since 9/11. Armed robbery, discharge of a fire-arm! No problemo...
    On the other hand, a good friend of mine crossed into US in my deezel Chevette 15 years ago. Lied about arrest record, for minor mis-demeanor, and was excluded for several years. Just for lying to a Federal agent. They told him they would have confiscated his car, but my Chevette wuz a turd. He had just bought an Z28 IROC. Lucky he took my Chevette.
    I could go on forever... :eek1:

18. CustomChevy

you have no criminal record (as far as we're concerned) until you're convicted.

19. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

'Mericans ask things much differently than 'nadians. US is sharp, Canucks are Amatures. They man booths with students in the summer.

The story goes..." Did you buy or receive anything while visiting US? Yes, I bought some explosives and shoes. The explosives are made in Mexico, so NAFTA (Free Trade) applies (no duty/tax), but those shoes are made in Cambodia... please pull over, and bend over..."

20. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

Actualy in some provinces like Manitoba its only 18.:laugh: