Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can I swap a edelbrock carb for my electronic q-jet?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by old_blue, Dec 15, 2001.

1. old_blue

old_blue Newbie

Hello all, I have a stock 86 K5 4x4 with the stock 305. The q-jet finally gave out to the point of no repair. I went to the local parts store and was told the carb was 420 bucks. This is the eletronic one with the two wires in the front. The guy at the store said the edelbrock (200 bucks) would work just fine, so I purchased the parts to change over, a fuel line to route to the new fuel inlet location,carb studs,and throttle and kickdown linkage. so I get home and open the box and see a warning from edelbrock to not install on vehicles with electronic q-jets. has anyone done this swap anyway. what exactly is the 2 wires for because I didnt think my blazer had a computer? If I can do this swap can anyone tell me what vacuum port I should use for the vacuum advance? timed or full. thanks in advance
    Michael

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

$420 for a rebuilt parts store carb! Take the Edelbrock back and through it at him. IMHO the Edelbrock Performer carbs are junk. Get a $12 rebuild kit and go for it. BTW you can get the Edelbrock part # EDL-1904 Q Jet from Summit Racing which is the direct replacement for electric choke GM's for $419. The Edelbrock Q-Jet is a good carb but I would not give $.02 for one of their Performer Carbs which I assume is what you got.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

3. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

that 200 buck carb is probably a 650. I got one of those on my blazer and im unhappy. the linkage does not match GM. so therefor your cable does not exactly fit right. you would have to get a linkage kit from bowtieoverdrives.com for 100 bux. thats 300 100 more and u can get a badd ass holley.
    as for the wires you wont need em. i dont think.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I wouldn't be asking here, except your profile isn't filled out. I'd perhaps like to buy your q-jet, I'd like to see one first hand set up like yours. My e-mail address is in my profile.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

5. old_blue

old_blue Newbie

o.k. after seeing that the edelbrock would not fit anyway because of the egr valve, I took the edelbrock back and bought a rebuild kit and a book on q-jets and will try to rebuild it myself. I found that the two wires operate the mixture control solenoid. now I labeled all my vacuum lines when removing them but I forgot to label the wires on the carb. I know where the 1 wire goes (orange w/white stripe) to the wiring harness but I cant find where the other wire goes (either blue or green) and I dont see it in my manual.
    thanks

6. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

i took off my egr valve off and put a blocking plate on there.

7. Red Chevy Girl

Red Chevy Girl 1/2 ton status

I know you already took the eldebrook back, but I had to do this change on my 85 they want 1500 for a rebuilt carb that was computer controlled, which was out of the question. After doing some research I bought a eldebrock 1904 and put the off road kit in it and have not had any problems with cutting out at any angles. It did take a little modifing to connect everything, well almost everything. Most of the wires are sitting next to the carb not hooked up and the only thing that resulted in the was the check engine light is on permently. It won't pass smog visual now but it runs great.