Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I take 4.56 gear out one axle and put it in another? Final, but D60 Q's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, Nov 29, 2000.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Can I take 4.56 gear out one axle and put it in another? Final, but D60 Q\'s

Ok, please bear with me here.
    The situation is, I have a 3/4 ton 14bolt FF axle with 4.10 gears open carrier. I maybe acquiring a 1 ton 14bolt with 4.56 gears with the Govlok.
    The question is, can I take the 4.56 gears out of the 1 ton 14bolt and put it in the 3/4 ton axle and at the same time put a Detroit in the 3/4 ton axle? I know, I would probably have to get this professionally done.
    But is it possible? As you know,the 3/4 ton 14bolt is a direct bolt in to my K5, where as the 1 ton 14bolt I will have to move the perches. Thanks for any help. I may pick this axle up tomorrow evening, so I need answers quick. Thankyou in advance.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Can I take 4.56 gear out one axle and put it in another?

I believe the gov-lock version utilized a different carrier than one that is open, so you would have to use the 4.10 carrier and install the 4.56 gear set into that and then install the Detroit.

Don't hold me to this though, I could be wrong.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

3. Boss

Thanks for the info Steve. Great review on the Extended shocks by the way [​IMG]!
    But yeah, I know that the gov-lok uses its own carrier. So if I wanted to put a detroit in one, I would have to find an open carrier and then do it.
    But I was just thinking if I just took out the 4.56 Ring & Pinion (from the 1 ton axle) and put that into the 3/4 ton axle that has the open carrier. Wondering if that will work?
    But maybe its all wishful thinking on my part. Thanks though.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It should work. You defintely need the open carrier before you can install the Detroit Locker in that axle. However, I've read that swapping used gears between axles isn't a great idea. It's nearly impossible to get the exact same wear pattern on the new axle as you had on the old axle. Supposedly it will wear the gears out faster. I don't know how much faster though. Perhaps they only last 400K miles instead of 500K miles? [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If you get the gears set-up properly you shouldn't have a problem. Some people may say it isn't worth it because of the used gears, but if the 4.56's aren't worn bad, then you should be fine.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

6. Boss

Re: Can I take 4.56 gear out one axle and put it in another? Final, but Dana 60 Q\'s

Thanks for all the info guys. It turns out that the 14bolt had 4.56 gears with an open carrier.[​IMG] So, I jumped on it along with a Dana60 with 4.56 gears too.[​IMG][​IMG]
    The only thing wrong with the Dana60 is it needs two Ujoints on both sides and also it needs new seals at the yoke. What is the part # or model # of the ujoints? Also, how do I go about changing the yoke seals? Thanks
    Boss

[​IMG]