Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I Use 120v Toggles ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Resurrection_Joe, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I cant find any 12v toggles in town, only 120v appliance switches, are these workable? I assume no

Anyway, anyone wanna go buy me soem toggles and ship em to me

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ive seen a normal common 120v house wall light switch used for heater blower motor in one rig i drug up here once, so i assume so, yes
    haha

sounds like you live in low population area like i do, cant find anything anywhere for automotive, only can find for farming and other junk

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yes you can. It is the amp rating you need to watch out for. There is a formula that will determine the amp for 12v versus 120v although I don't have it in front of me right now.

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yes you can, as long as your under a 20 amp load you will be fine. If they are lighted toggles the lights won't lightup though.

5. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

ohms law is the formula - it tells you the relationship between voltage, current and resistance...

V = I x R
    R = V / I
    I = V / R

V = voltage
    R = resistance
    I = current

6. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

I mirror what others have said....the voltage rating indicates how much insulation the switch has....

7. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

Although the above ohms law formula is correct.....

DC voltage typically imposes a higher load on the switch contacts than AC does. Most switches are not limited by the current flow capacity, but by the contact rating. This is the ability to make & break contact without burning up or welding themselves together. The bi-directional flow of AC current is easier on the switch contacts. Therefore most switch ratings are roughly equal for 120VAC vs. 12VDC.

Hope this helps.

8. Resurrection_Joe

Thanks for the help everyone, I think I'll be able to get what I need, or break (cook/electricute) something, either/or

Uhhh what was I just thinking.....

[darn]

Oh yeah, would'n it be great to have the pullstring lamp switches in your truck to run something, hahahaha, interior lights *caclick*

9. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

thats crazy you cant find a 12V switch, Must be hard to build a truck in your town... we have a big slection of them at my work, if you really want me to buy you some and ship them to you PM me...

10. Resurrection_Joe

Yeah... 1400 people

I could go to Napa, but I hate the owner. I want to impale him on a ash spike and set him in front of the store. Then I could take over the counter. I think a sternum entry back-of-neck setup would be best. And fire, lots and lots of fire. No more $18 master cylinder bleeding kits.

Anyway, thanks for the offer, but I can use 120v to get by untill I can make the 50 mile trip to walmart I really dont like Walmart, but it's better than K-Mart (which is a modern day Soddom without the fun kinky stuff, just degridation of soul)

I'm rambling

11. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I could go to Napa, but I hate the owner. I want to impale him on a ash spike and set him in front of the store. Then I could take over the counter. I think a sternum entry back-of-neck setup would be best. And fire, lots and lots of fire. No more $18 master cylinder bleeding kits.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Gee, i wonder if he owns the NAPA over here, cause they SUCK also!