Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I use 3/4 ton springs on my K5?? Please help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bikejunkie, Apr 6, 2003.

1. bikejunkie

bikejunkie Registered Member

I'm in the process of swapping in some new axles and the only thing stoping me is the springs. Can I use a the springs of a 1975 3/4 ton 4x4 truck on my K5. There Pro Comp if that helps. I 've heard that 1/2 and 3/4 ton are the same, but not sure. Can anyone help? Thanks

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

they will work, but GM did make 2 different length leaf springs for the rear. just make sure they are the same length.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

52 and 56", 52" is what k5s and 1/2tons had and some 3/4 tons. 1 tons and 3/4tons were 56"

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

If they're a 56" spring (which is what 99% of 3/4 ton trucks came with) you'll have to move your rear spring hanger back ~4". If they're a 52" spring then it'll bolt right in.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Why not just get new U-bolts and spring plates. I would think the 3/4 Ton springs would give it a stiff ride.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

new ubolts and spring plates? whats that have to do with anything? You can use 3/4ton plates and ubolts with 1/2ton springs. Pro Comp springs are stiff in 1/2 ton or 3/4ton versions.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    new ubolts and spring plates? whats that have to do with anything? You can use 3/4ton plates and ubolts with 1/2ton springs. Pro Comp springs are stiff in 1/2 ton or 3/4ton versions.

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
    I'm in the process of swapping in some new axles and the only thing stoping me is the springs.

[/ QUOTE ] Assuming the rear axle being swapped in is a 14 Bolt, new U-bolts and spring plates will be required becouse axle tubes are larger then the 1/2 ton version. [ QUOTE ]
    There Pro Comp if that helps. I 've heard that 1/2 and 3/4 ton are the same, but not sure. Can anyone help? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ] I've never used Pro Comp. I like BDS, and Tuff Country. I currently have Superlift front springs, and yes, they are alittle stiff, but not too bad.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I figured he knew that and was just asking about the springs I understand letting him know all he needs to know. Are yours Superride Superlifts?

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think they're the Superrides or softrides or somethinng like that. Planing on swapping to Tuff Country EZ rides in about a year. Just going to wait till I can afford a Dana 60.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

waiting on my Skyjackers. will see how they are. I am hoping to go coil sprung 4 link front and rear this summer so yeah.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    waiting on my Skyjackers. will see how they are. I am hoping to go coil sprung 4 link front and rear this summer so yeah.

[/ QUOTE ] That'd be nice, but more work then my lazyass wants to do,LOL.