Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I use 4wd on the street in the rain?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Jonathan, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

Today it rained hard for the first time in a little over a month and I realized just how crazy it is driving my truck on wet streets. So my question is, can i put it in 4-high on the street when it's wet without breaking anything?

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

You should be OK if the ground is really wet. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

Cool, thanks for the reply. It was downright scary today, I fishtailed about four or five times on the way to school and I only live a mile and a half away.

4. Joey D

Joey D Registered Member

I would say no. It will still bind up in the t-case. Granted not as bad as dry but it will.

5. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

Well I used it today on the way to school. I just put it in 4 high when I had to take off from tricky intersections so I wouldn't spin my tires too bad or fish-tail and lose control. As soon as I got going and got out of the intersection I shifted back in 2wd. It worked fine and didn't seemed to bind any.

6. Joey D

Joey D Registered Member

I have used it like that as well. I thought you wanted to leave it in 4hi when it's wet out.

7. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

No, I wouldn't do that, it drives too different in 4wd for me to just leave it in all the time.

8. DusterRT

DusterRT Registered Member

Uhh..I've never had a problem driving my 2wd truck in the rain (unless I try to fishtail, but then thats not a problem..), yes crazy heavy rain too, even with my old crappy tires, a manual tranny, and no load in the back. Maybe you should just lay off the throttle a bit and not worry about it??

Travis

9. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

You ever tried driving on smooth asphalt streets durring a heavey downpour when it hasn't rained in a month? What happens is all the oil that cars leak collects on the surface of the pavement and when it rains hard it kinda loosens and lifts the oil and it becomes very slick. Little Rock is a hilly town and with some sloped intersections, my nearly bald mud tires, an open rear diff, and a manual tranny, things can get hairy. I think I'd rather mess with one more shifter and maybe risk the possibility of binding things up a little than risk fishtailing and sideswiping another car.

10. hoppy

hoppy Registered Member

4-wheel drive is made for situations like that, not just for snow and mud. i dont reccomend using it fulltime, but like you mentioned the oil can make things slippy. its probably good for your vehicle to use the 4 wheel drive now and then to ensure that parts arent freezing up. on my old toyota they reccomended locking and unlocking the hubs to prevent from freezing up.