Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I use a 3/4 ton 10 bolt housing/gears with my old 1/2 ton 10bolt?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nrose07, Apr 20, 2002.

1. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

I'm going to get a 10 bolt 3/4 ton front end but its missing axle shafts, tie rod and hubs. I really want it for the gears, but when I did a search on it I found conflicting info. Can I use my old axle shafts and hubs on the 3/4??? The spindles are the same right??? And the tie rod??? Thanks Guys!

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Everything should be the same, on both axles if they are both 10 bolts, except the bearing hubs, rotors, and backing plates. So everything should interchange bewteen the 2 axles. The only time that 10 bolts differed is when they changes to 30 spline inner shafts. If the axle you are going to use the gears out of is the 30 spline, and the axles you have are 28 spline, then obviously won't work. Or it could be the other way around. I think they changed the spline count in 89. Pre-89 are 28 spline, and post-89 is 30sp.

3. Hossbaby50

Also the 30 spline axles are a little stronger shafts, but harder to find. The 28 spline axles are easier to find but a little weaker.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've heard that the 30 spline shafts are stronger, but the carrier is weaker.

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Guys? This is a front end. I'm pretty sure the spline count stayed the same in those. The only difference I know of is stuff on the outside of the knuckles...I guess rotors and such...basically the stuff that makes it 8 lug. So you can mix and match the gears, housings and shafts.

6. Hossbaby50

Look at the 89-91 year model in the spec. link. Says 30 spline. http://coloradok5.com/specs.shtml .I have also heard that the 30 spline carrier is weaker then the 28 spline carrier too. But most of the time the axle joint is usually the first thing to let go in the front end. So I don't think it really matters unless you decide to run the chrome moly shafts and joints. For that matter we don't even know what year trucks the axles are out of.