Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I use a 90 CK dash cluster in my 88 Cheyenne?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hekg, Oct 4, 2005.

1. hekg

hekg Newbie

I have an 88 Cheyenne that came with the plain gauge cluster which only has the speedometer and fuel gauges, the rest is just red warning lights. I want to be able to buy one of those newer gauge clusters from a 1990 silverado or some other model with the complete gauge cluster. Will any of these work with my truck? If yes, how can I make all of the actual gagues to function? (temp, oil, etc)

Thanks for any help! :)

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Do you have the same body style as the donor tuck? You should, just making sure. If the clusters look the same, then you shouldnt have any problem mounting it. Just make sure it mounts up the way you want before you commit to this project. Now, the fun part is in the wiring. You need a wiring schematic for the cluster, Chilton's would probably be a good source for that. You need all of the sending units for the respective gauges. Those shouldnt be a problem. You can get those from a junkyard or from a parts store. And you neeed the harnasses or connectors that go to the sending units. Hardest part is gonna be in the wiring.

Good luck...

3. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

you should be able to use any 80-89 k5 cluster, and 80-87 truck cluster.

in 1990 they changed to electronic speedo. everything else should be a plug 'n play deal.

4. hekg

hekg Newbie

Great .. My truck is the 88-98 syte and the cluster appears to have the same plug as the plug on the one I want to get.

What about the sending units? I'm not too familiar with these or where to find them and probably more important what to connect them to. :)

I guess the chilton's manual will clear this up some. Thanks for your help! :)