Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can i use a computer controlled Q-jet w/out an ECM?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ajbirken, Jan 8, 2004.

1. ajbirken

ajbirken Registered Member

I've got a Q-jet that had the computer controlled primaries etc. can this carb be used in a non-compterized vehicle. I have a 1974 J10 PU with a 350SBC from a 1970 chevy PU.

Thanks

adam

2. xflatrater

xflatrater Registered Member

The carb will run at full rich without the computer, poor idle, load up the plugs and must likely damage the engine from oil contamination.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    The carb will run at full rich without the computer, poor idle, load up the plugs and must likely damage the engine from oil contamination.

[/ QUOTE ]

no....... the "computer controlled" QJet is not actually computer controlled. it has one 2 wire connector, and that connector gets 12v from the fuse box, the other side goes to a coolant temp sensor in the water neck. no computer required.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You are dead wrong. You are a member, you can research it. Don't bother going back more than 2 or 3 weeks.

Yes a CCC q-jet can be run without the computer, but its failure mode is full rich as was said. I got 10MPG out of a CCC carb on a 307 olds, when it should have been in the high teens low 20's.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no....... the "computer controlled" QJet is not actually computer controlled. it has one 2 wire connector, and that connector gets 12v from the fuse box, the other side goes to a coolant temp sensor in the water neck. no computer required.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is indeed a computer controlled carburator for California emission trucks.

For 49 state trucks there is a cold idle enrichment solenoid which is what you might be thinking of, but there is indeed a CCC for California trucks.

6. ajbirken

ajbirken Registered Member

I am a dumbass. This carb appears to be from an 84 Olds the PN is 17084258. I bought first asked questions later. Any advice other than buy a non-CCC Q-jet?

Thanks

7. dyeager535

Not really. Buy another one and see if you can't sell the one you got. Don't throw it away, there are a few of us still (intending) to play around with the CCC carbs, but *I* only buy used Q-jets for around $5, so that may give you an idea how much you may get out of it. Hope you didn't pay much more.

I know wrecking yards would charge a lot more, perhaps you could Ebay it.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

anybody got any pics of this CCC carb? how about some more info? i've never seen such a thing before.

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My old CCC carb, intake, and distributer is in the garage but I use my girlfriends cam to take all of my pics. I will try and get a pic of it for you if I can borrow her cam.

P.S. there really isn't much to see, it looks just like a regulaer Q-jet just with a spot for a plug.

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

bottom answer is no, there is a control module and the entire system is called electronic spark timing and began in 1980, and mostly sene on 305 engines throughout the 80s, very common thing, i have sene some with two plugs on the carb, one with the two wires and another with an extra wire, this was on an 86 c-10 with 305, the extra wire ran to temp switch in thermostat housing

11. dyeager535

E4MED truck carb

Parts 265 and 210 indicate a computer control carb. Mix control solenoid (with dual capacity pump) and TPS, respectively.