Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can I use a gov loc in front??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bablazer73, Nov 30, 2003.

1. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to find a cheap posi to put in the FRONT of my plow blazer. But all i seem to find are gov-locs. I don't mind putting one in, but will it still work in the front diff?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I'm sure it will work the question is if the axles and u-joints will work. If you do put it in at least make sure the u-joints are new spicers.

3. bablazer73

It's mostly a plow truck. I changed the u-joints last year, 4,800 miles ago! As long as it will work. I just need a little more traction. My driveway is on a hill and I have to push the snow UP the freakin driveway!! 25 yards worth!!

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

gov-locks work on revoulations... so every time you turn the wheel and the inside wheel spins 100 rpm(i think) then the other it will lock up just somthing to keep in mind /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. bablazer73

and something is better than nothing! this truck got stuck all over last year!!

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i have never had a 10 bolt, front or rear. but isnt a rear 10 bolt 30 spline and a front 28 spline? you may have to get moly shafts to fix that. maybe they made 28 spline rears also, i dont know. maybe im way off.
    Grant

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

make sure the rear is working too!! I've always seen plow trucks at least put on some chains-. Cheaper, easier, and also increases braking power. Just a pain in the butt to put on/take off all the time.

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I have a 30 spline front, so does my friend. They made the fronts and rears in both 28 and 30. Switch occured in '89.