Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can i use a later 5 spd std

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by buzzk5, Sep 15, 2001.

1. buzzk5

buzzk5 Registered Member

my daily driver is a 77K5 auto....will soon be swapping in standard trans in an effort
    to get better gas mileage....approx 100 mile daily trips,...possible to go with a later
    model transm to gain a gear/overdrive? .....any body done it ?...i would like to retain
    my bellhouse and transcase if possible.....would like to accomplish this without swappin
    the donors complete drive line.... i'm sure i can dealwith/fabricate a hyd clutch set up
    if thats the main stumbing block.....

Dave
    80K5 on ice

are they all spinning?????

2. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

The only other prob i can think of is teh if a older t-case will mount to it other then taht and the clutch it would work the bell hosueing is the same the clutch would work (you just make yours a hyd) SO reall ether go with newer t-case or try bolting a 205 to it

AJ
    Soon to wheelin spot near you
    Project Harvey[​IMG]

3. joe84bb

joe84bb Registered Member

Sorry I'm a lil behind. I was looking for the same thing when my 700r4 died. I found a muncie for a '94 3/4 or 1-ton w/ L,1,2,3,&OD and I luv it. The bellhousing of course is made onto the tranny, but I did have to replace the input gear on the x-fer case. As far as the hydraulic clutch...lining up and drilling the hole in the fire wall was the hardest part. Hope this helps. If you have any ?'s e-mail me and I'll get a lil more specific, I tried to keep good records.

I know just enough to know that I'll never know enough.

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Thought about a TH700? they have a nice overdrive gear (.70 compared to .75 or .78 for most other trannies) and would be a pretty easy install with whatever you have with the TH350. In 4th with the converter locked it's going to be really close to the same efficiency as a manual if not the same. Besides, in a truck that might get 14 mpg, even a 5% difference in milage is hard to see.
    Ken Brown (blazer72 maybe?) has a 4500 in his K5 and went through a bunch of hoops to get the right bellhousing and clutch, etc, so he would probably have a lot of good info.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>