Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I use a TH400 from a 2wd in my 4x4?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rgd, Mar 8, 2001.

1. rgd

rgd Registered Member

I found a guy selling a TH400. The add reads:

Chevy Turbo 400 auto tranny from 1980 Chevy truck, short tailshaft, complete with torque convertor, mount, dipstick, etc. Your choice of bolt on yoke or slip yoke. $150 (Canadian).

Question is can I use this in a K5? If so, I assume the bolt-on yoke is the more desireable one?

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I did a similar swap into an 86 K10. I took out the 700R4 and bought a TH400 out of a car to mate with an NP205 out of an 84 K30. They bolted up together like a glove. I found out as long as the 2WD or car type TH400 has the short tailshaft, its usable with the NP205. I think the shaft measures around 4 to 5 inches sticking out. I cant remember. I simply took off the tailshaft housing (short one) and hooked up the case.

3. rgd

rgd Registered Member

Did your NP205 bolt up directly to the TH400 with the tailshaft housing removed, or do you still need the adapter plate?

4. thatK30guy

It was hooked up to the adaptor. You will need an adaptor for almost anything in order to let it sit on the crossmember. The adaptor was 4" wide. I have a brand new one on my floor beside me. If you need one, I have it.

5. FastEddy

FastEddy 1/2 ton status

.....small world...I'm the guy advertising the transmission.......talked to you yesterday....I'm leaving for winnipeg about 10:45 this morning if you want me to bring it to the city...call me as I won't be online any longer this morning....thanks..ED

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, I just got into a huge argument over this exact thing when I bought my new 400. The shop I called told me a quoted price, then sent me the tranny, and it was a 2wd model. I sent it back and wanted a 4wd model, but they wanted way more $$ for it. Finally they gave in after many calls and lots of screaming and I got my th400 4wd case. The difference is like this. The 2wd case is the same as the 4wd case except for the aluminum dust cover, the 2wd has a plastic cover. The 4wd case lets you use those 2 steel rods that brace to the engine mounts. You cant with the 2wd case. Also, they tell me that the bellhousing is made a little thicker on the 4wd case. Other than that, the internals are the same, and the external dimensions are the same.

Later
    Mike

btw, $150.00can is a good price!

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

7. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

I just got a TH400 from Boyce in UT ($350+shipping.) The 4wd cases are thicker and the flexplate cover is aluminum and a structural part, I split a 2wd TH400 all the way around where the the pump area with my 327. All I did was put it in reverse 2hi and romped on it. I didn't know anything happened 'till I came back 10 minutes later to my truck sitting a huge puddle of trans fluid. Spend the extra money and get the K case, you don't want to swap trannies again. That's why you are looking for a TH400 in the first place, right?

8. thatK30guy

Everybody needs to remember there are two types of TH400 trannies for the 4WD's. The one you got from Boyce probably has the short shaft, which fits the NP208 and 203. The 400 for the NP 205 uses a little longer shaft.