Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I use Dana 44 side gears in a GM 10b?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ankarback, Oct 1, 2006.

1. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

I broke the right driveshaft in my front axle yesterday. I have several spare D44 driveshafts laying around but none for the GM 10b. Can I replace the side gears in the 10 bolt with the D44 sidegears so I can use the 30 splines driveshafts from the D44? That would be nice if it can be done. I beleive that the D44 shafts are a bit stronger since I never broke any in my old blazer.

Btw, how common is it with a GM10b in a -77. I always thought I had a D44 in the suburban too until the driveshaft broke and the spareshaft didn't fit:doah: Never thought about it, and I've had it opened several times and changed the oil in it:o

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Id like to know about the side gears, but I think ~76 is when the started swapping to the 10B.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The axles are not the same length in the front tubes in the first place . Just off enough for it not work even if you had the right spline side gears , which by the way won't fit . GM is GM ( now AAM ) , and Dana is Dana ( actually Spicer , Dana is the holding company name ) .

You would have to get a 30 spline 10 bolt to use 30 spline shafts , but it has to be GM length shafts .

4. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

I suspected it wouldn't work. I didn't know they were of different length. I know they are different axles but I thought it was worth a shot asking.
    Thanks for the info.

5. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

To add to your statement, the 30 spline Dana 44 axle spline has a different pressure angle than the 30 spline GM 10 bolt; so even if the axle was the correct length, the splines don't match up.
    Jimbo

6. 1BEATK5

1BEATK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

the necked down area right before the splines is the same diameter on either axle, 1.1"? so the 44 shafts aren't any stronger anyway. Maybe someone would trade you. I would trade you if you lived closer.