Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can i use f250 HP44 backing plates on my 10bolt to convert to 8lug????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 01maroonz71, Jan 9, 2007.

1. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

well, i was at the yard today and they have a 79 f250 LD truck with the HP44 8lug axle and i was wondering if i could buy the backing plates off that truck to convert my 6lug to 8lug...im going to buy the hub/rotor assemblies new at autozone for 69.99 but i cna't find backing plates anywhere....also is this all i need to do the swap???? thanks guys!
    ~Dave

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well the ford typicaly has 5 bolts on the spindle while chevy and jeep have 6
    you could buy the axle sell it (HPD44 are not cheap) and buy the chevy outers you need.
    :D

3. 01maroonz71

the axle is missing the shafts, but otherwise is complete...i did think about buying it for another project and runnin some chromoly shafts, but i think i need to focus on one at a time...haha....i guess the search continues.

4. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

to do that u would need to swap everything from the outer knuckle out, including the outer axle.

5. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

Or you could redrill the backing plate to match the chevy d44, but then you'd need ford calipers. There may be a difference in the rotor diameter as well, not sure there. :thinking:

Probably not that hard to do unless they are cast, but even then it's possible. Just be patient.

Later,
    Buddy

6. 01maroonz71

yeah, im just gonna wait...all my buddies say since it's basically just a mud truck to get 6lug wheels up front and 8's in the back, then when i eventually get a 60...to just buy 2 new wheels for the front....dunno though. i geuss there's no sense in investing money into the toothpicks now....

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

8-lug 10-bolt axles are pretty easy to find around here for $100-$150, and they typically had good rotors and even bearings in them. Back in the day when I did the conversion I paid $50 for the 8-lug hub/rotor assemblies and backing plates out of the junkyard. Repacked the bearings and bolted everything on.

8. 01maroonz71

dang, i wish it was the same way down here...i can't find an 8 lug ANYWHERE LOCALLY...if you could go and pull the hub/rotor/backing plates i would be willing to pay you for your time if you could ship them to me. how does that sound???

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Doubt you could afford me:wink1: Can't hardly find any time to work on my own stuff.

Hell, the local junkyard guy just cut the knuckles on the axle with a torch and handed me the setup with the shafts still attached.....even after I offered to just unbolt what I needed.