Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I use wood for lift blocks?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chevyracing, May 8, 2003.

1. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I need to make my 31 inch mudder tires clear the fenders without doing any sheet metal work..
    I was thinking that I would use a good quality hardwood with a real tight grain, something like Red Oak for the lift blocks. I could drill a small hole in the center of the board for the Center Pin to ride in. I am not going to take any chances so I will put a couple of hose clamps around the pieces on the front lift blocks for added safety in the unlikely event the wood cracks.

I like the options on the available "lift" sizes. The only thing is if I were to use a 4 inch thick board I believe it is only 3.5 inches in real time measurements, so I may have to get a 4 inch board and a 1 inch board and put them together to get a full 4 inch lift.

My questions are these:

1) Should I use nails, screws, glue, dowels or a combination of any of the above to hold the 2 pieces of wood together for the full 4 inch lift.? (I want this to be safe)

2) I will probably need to use a good preservative on the wood to keep it from deteriorating. (sometimes there are puddles of "liquid" in the mall parking lot). Should I use a good sealer like Thompsons Water Seal or should I use a poly eurethane.? I used Thompsons on my deck and it beads water off quite nicely and it came with a sticker.

3) Should I use a router to finish of the edges of the boards to prevent chipping or splitting?

Thankyou for your time on this tech question.

John

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Nice post !
    I hope your kidding, April Fool's

3. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

I think a good pressure treated 4x4 would do ya up right. You can use some latex black gloss paint on it and it'll look like metal (sort of).

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Use Balsa wood...so much easier to shape to your needs and it's a real weight saver!!/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

For that faux steel look you could wrap it with sheet metal flashing...the pop rivets would give it a real faux hardcore look similar to beadlocks./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The possibilities are limitless, 2x4 shackles, stucco for rust repair, house wiring for the stereo...maybe even the residential fuse panel. Just think, no more fuse replacement!! Then there is the ever popular fake wood grain panelling and shag carpet...a real must for any hardcore wheeler!!

Rene

5. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

Just keep the 'Orkin man' handy in your phone book - I'd hate to see your lift go away because of termites /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Use Ironwoods or IPE Very dense wont rot. Use ceramic coated screws /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. chevyracing

[ QUOTE ]
    Just keep the 'Orkin man' handy in your phone book - I'd hate to see your lift go away because of termites /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice, thanks. I do have a mobile phone in the event termites should appear.

John

8. mudgition

mudgition 1/2 ton status

Something that works for me is wrapping your blocks in leftover metal flashing from any roofing project. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

If you put the seem on the top of the block it gets covered nicely by the leaf spring so no one knows. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

And the added weight is offset by the added strength. (I hope). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

If you use styrofoam, just think how much nicer those deep water crossings will be when you float across... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gifAnd don't forget the silver paint... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

I'd probably go with a softer wood, they ride better. NAILS?!?!No way, might split... use some good wood glue (Elmers)...better to be safe then sorry. I'd router purely for asthetic purposes. Yes a good sealer, but first I'd go with a nice pecan stain then finish with some 150grit.
    -After you're done take it by CHP for inspection...you'll be fine.

11. the cork

the cork 1/2 ton status

you could use dowells for tie rods, and any good quality
    wood for the lift blocks,
    but what if a (beaver) chews them apart, /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Just weld the wood blocks to your spring perches, that way they are less likely to split and fall out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Don't forget to pre-heat the blocks really good though...the E70oak18 rod works best for wood IMHO./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Gives a whole new meaning to the term "Root pass"

Rene

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I wouldn't trust wood at all, too hard to clean. I think fumes hit the mark with styrofoam, though. Or, if you have a suscription, folded up old newspaper would work good, best in mud.

Rene's idea for the wood paneling is awesome, sparked another idea for me. I might have some tile left after my bathroom remodel job, maybe I'll use it to replace the rusted bed in my truck.

15. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

How about old phone books, They come in several different thicknesses up to 4" thick. You could also rwrap them in allunminum foil for the *BLING* effect.

16. chevyracing

If i decide to hang red lights on these I will have to run two wires instead of one, forgot about the ground wire...Darn. That just doubled the cost of wire. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

John

17. chevyracing

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Them mean ole beavers better stay away from my wood!!

18. The_Beaver

The_Beaver Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr. Chevyracing, I don't know what sort of beavers you are accustomed to associating with, but anyone who is at all familiar with our species should know that 4" of wood will not satisfy an adult beaver.

19. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    but what if a (beaver) chews them apart

[/ QUOTE ]

Dang Cork! Ya beat me to it... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr. Chevyracing, I don't know what sort of beavers you are accustomed to associating with, but anyone who is at all familiar with our species should know that 4" of wood will not satisfy an adult beaver.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[​IMG]