Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can i weld front axel?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dodgetruck91, Sep 7, 2004.

1. dodgetruck91

dodgetruck91 Registered Member

I have a 77 K5 that i just got to mud with, it does have lockouts up front and i want to know if i can weld the spider gears just like in the tech article?

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yes, you can. Most folks around here will tell you it's a bad idea though. For the $$ you might just look into a spool or something instead of welding up the spiders.

3. dodgetruck91

dodgetruck91 Registered Member

its not worth it on this truck, its mud only, But as far as the spool goes here can i get one, i might want one for my 88.

4. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

i know im going to get hate mail for saying this, weld it!
    i know its not the right thing to do in a front axle but it works and its cheap. if u are willing to buy a spool why not save a little more and get a lockright locker for the front. i know people run welded front diffs with no complants yet, just broken axle shafts but thats normal with the people i wheel with.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Don't weld anything like the tech article says too. Front axles aren't welded like that anyway. It is strictly for 14bff's, and I wouldn't even recommend that they be welded like the tech article says too. I run a welded rear like that and it is NOT they way to do it. Weld the spider gears in a full ball for a 14bff. I am about to change my welded rear to a full minispool Jethro lock from what the tech article has. It gets looser over time and the spider gears can crack over time from the repeated abuse of the slack they create from welding it like that.

In a straight line mud truck a welded front wouldn't be bad but for anything else it would suck. I have seen a welded front in a truck in the rocks here in AZ and it was something I would never recommend.

Harley

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Hey harley, have my welds broke yet /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan

7. Hossbaby50

Not yet that I know of but they are getting looser.

Harley

8. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

harley, he did say for mud only thats why i said to weld it.
    now that i think about it supersizes(shawns) spider and side gears are about done (but i think thats more of a driver thing /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif).

9. DesertDueler

not bad for what 2 years

10. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    not bad for what 2 years

[/ QUOTE ]
    the new 86 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif shawn has.

p.s. dan the 75 is mine now. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. dustyk5

dustyk5 Registered Member

How long can I get out of a welded 12 bolt in a daily driver with 3.07's and a gutless 350?

12. DesertDueler

My 2 years was applying to harleys 14FF I welded. As for a welded rear, it depends on driving style. I seen then last one trip out, to 5+ years.

Dan

P.S. thats cool the 75 is yours, maybe you will treat it better /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif jk shawn. btw how is my old 79 k20 doing?

13. Hossbaby50

Ya, I can't really complain. It is not the right way to do it but I didn't know that then. It has worked sofar but I think if I had larger tires then 35" and didn't run them at 40psi on the street it would be worse then it is.

I will find out soon if any of them actually cracked or not. I am going to the full minispool weld ASAP.

It has served its perpose well for me sofar. I have a hand full of good hard runs on it at low PSI and it is still working but I need to get the full weld in so the guy at the tranny shop is happy that the slack in the rearend is gone. Otherwise he won't warranty my tranny again.

Harley

14. DesertDueler

Thats cool. I didnt think it would last this long with the little welds I put on like the tech article. Welding it all up is better.

Dan

15. Hossbaby50

You are going to severly shorten the life of a 12 bolt by welding it especially on a DD. The fatigue life on a 12 bolt shaft with a welded is going to be alot shorter then a locked rearend. A 14bff axleshaft is much larger then a 12 bolt shaft and the fatigue life is going to be higher. That is why people get away with running 14bff's welded on the street. A 12 bolt might last awhile but it could be short lived also. It is ugly when a 12 bolt shaft lets loose too. Trust me, I know. I have been in a truck when it happened.

Harley

16. Hossbaby50

It hasn't really seen a heck of alot of miles since the 14bff went in. Long highway drives to Colorado and back, and some four wheeling runs along with some DD work. It saw most of its miles with the 32" tires too. My truck sat for 3 months while I installed TPI last winter and for another 3 months last summer while I saved money for another 700R4 and rebuilt my 208.

It has been sitting alot lately which makes me very unhappy so I am now in the process of correcting that.

Harley

17. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

dich the welding idea for a monment and think about what he should run up front in the mud. spool, locker, or a very good limited slip. what is the cheapest but but best way to up grade his front axle for mud. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

18. Hossbaby50

For a mud only truck welded is ok, just unlock the hubs after the mud pit is done with.

For the best all around for the best money I would say lockright. Pretty cheap, easy to install and you can steer alot better then with a welded.

Harley

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Whoever recommended a spool, why is that any different than welding it?

I personally would just wait and get a locker for the front. That's what I did.

I'd weld the rear without even thinking about it, but the front, leave open until you can afford a locker.

20. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Whoever recommended a spool, why is that any different than welding it?

I personally would just wait and get a locker for the front. That's what I did.

I'd weld the rear without even thinking about it, but the front, leave open until you can afford a locker.

[/ QUOTE ]

so u are saying u would weld a 12 bolt c-clip axel?

yes a spool is just like welded gears but as harley stated welds do weakin over time and the gears can fail.