Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can i weld my diff's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by deek, May 25, 2003.

1. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

Can i weld my diff\'s

i was wanting lockers, front & back, but i was wondering if i could just weld my front dana44, & back Gm 12 bolt. I'v never done it, but i did read the tech guied about welding the spider gears on the 14 bolt, but didn't know if it could be done on mine. I'm open for sugestions or warnings! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: Can i weld my diff\'s

Warning, you'll break your axles, and if they do hold up, steering will suck and you wont want to drive your truck on the road.

If you do drive your truck on the road, you'll most likely twist the splines off of the 12 bolt shafts. Even 14 bolt FF shafts are prone to this due to welding.

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Don't weld the front one. I have tried driving a truck with a spooled front end and it sucked. It was excellent in the mud and on the trail as long as you weren't trying to turn sharp. The rest of the time it sucked, bad.

I'd get a spool or minispool for the 12 bolt before I welded it. 12 bolt carriers aren't all that strong to take the neverending abuse welded spider gears will cause. If you run a spool the weak link will become the axleshafts but I've seen a spooled 12 bolt with a 383 moving it and 33s go forever.

4. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I agree, don't weld the front. My wheeling buddy did this and he hates it. Welding the rear you can do, it is cheap and works great on the trail, I knew before I did this that it would suck for street driving so I have no regrets. If it should break I will buy a Detroit locker but until that happens I will keep it as it is. So far I have driven on rocks, in the sand dunes and also this is my daily driver. So far so good.