Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can i wire up a 4x4 light?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tdcombs, Jun 7, 2005.

1. tdcombs

tdcombs Registered Member

To show when my t case is in 4x4? Its on a 72 blazer.

If not, and i accedentally put it in 4 hi instead of 2wd but my hubs were unlocked what kind of damage does it do at say 60 MPH :crazy:

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

There is no reason it should do any damage.

3. tdcombs

tdcombs Registered Member

Really? What about with the hubs in?

So basically if i dont have my hubs locked in then 4hi is like 2wd to the tcase?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No, it's like 2WD to the front wheels. :)

Front driveshaft turns, front axles turn, they just aren't connected to the wheels.

Assuming you've got a 205 case, there is no "stock" way to add a 4WD light to your truck I am aware of, later ones with the light were built with that feature in mind. You could make something, but it would be a bit of a hassle.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

the scoop..

If your in 4HI and your hubs are unlocked,the front driveshaft,axle gears and shafts will all be spinning,but not "driving" the front wheels...not great for gas mileage,but it wont really hurt anything..

I would strongly reccomend NOT driving at any speed over 20mph on tar roads WITH the hubs LOCKED!!.(with a "part time" transfer case like a NP205 or NP208--the "Full Time" NP203 case has a differential in the tailshaft that allows constant 4WD use)--..it will be hard to control,and could damage the transfer case and hubs,and possibly snap a U-joint at the front wheels..

My 82 K20 does not shift out of 4wd when I put it in 2HI--so I just leave the hubs unlocked...I have a spare transfer case(I assume something is amiss in mine!)--but I'm not swapping it in until I absolutely have too--just hoping its not sooner than later!..It works fine in 4HI and 4LO,and adjusting the linkage didn't help...I only use it to plow and local use,so I'm not too worried about it.. :crazy:

6. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    You could mount a switch to the tranfer case shift linkage, then wire a light
    to the switch. Thast the way my 77 came to me.

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I always shift out of 4wd while still driving on dirt. I "shift on the fly" by putting the trans into N and shifting the T-case into 2wd. You can shift into any gear but 4lo this way. This way all I have to do is unlock the hubs when I hit pavement.

8. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

If you drive your vehicle in four wheel drive with the hubs locked there is enough difference in ratios between the front and rear axles to actually cause the transfer case to bind up and possibly break a driveshaft or yoke or the weakest link. If it does bind up, slap er in geeverse and back up until you can it out of four wheel drive.