Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big jimmy 91, Oct 26, 2004.

1. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Purchase new shocks for a 4" lift that I plan on doing and run them on my stock hight rig for now or will they be too long with no lift?
    The reason for this is pass. side rear shock folded in half last night , broke the frame /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif and tried to come through the floor.
    I don't want to buy a new set of stock ones only to replace them again in the future
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

IMO you would bottom out the 4" lift shocks. Especially if bottoming out the stock shock is what caused your carnage. Are your bump stops in good shape.

I think you could pick up a cheap single shock from the parts store for less than $20. But I could be wrong, it's been a long time since I purchased shocks from a local parts store.

3. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Got Pics? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would just buy the single shock for a replacement. I think the 4 inchers would bottom out if you could get them on at all.

4. big jimmy 91

Sorry no pics. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    Had no time to do anything today but remove the bent shock and get ready for work

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why not lift it now? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Just go buy some Gab's from Auto Zone for about $19ea.(or less) for the rear. Then you wont be out much $$ and can buy some longer ones with the lift.

What caused the shock to beak??? Nevr saw one just break and fly all over like you describe.

7. big jimmy 91

84 chev K10 - No time or funds to do the lift right now /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Emmet - I still don't know why it happened , the shock looks like it was extended and jammed up causing it to bend the shaft instead of working properly
    This caused the upper part of the shock body to get crushed , the eye that bolts to the frame ripped off but not before it tore out of the frame leaving a ragged hole in the frame
    The only thing that I did before this happened was get an oil change done and they put the truck on a hoist letting the suspention hang fully
    There was nothing wrong with it when I left the shop , I drove around for a few hours on the street only and BAM , all hell broke loose

8. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Why not lift it now? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Emmet - I still don't know why it happened , the shock looks like it was extended and jammed up causing it to bend the shaft instead of working properly
    This caused the upper part of the shock body to get crushed , the eye that bolts to the frame ripped off but not before it tore out of the frame leaving a ragged hole in the frame
    The only thing that I did before this happened was get an oil change done and they put the truck on a hoist letting the suspention hang fully
    There was nothing wrong with it when I left the shop , I drove around for a few hours on the street only and BAM , all hell broke loose

[/ QUOTE ]

So the bottom came off first and then it ripped the top up? Hmm.. Weird..... Either way....

10. big jimmy 91

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So the bottom came off first and then it ripped the top up? Hmm.. Weird..... Either way....

[/ QUOTE ]

No the bottom stayed attached to the diff. , which caused the top of the shock to break off and try to come through the floor after it bent in half /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    I still don't know why this happened /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif