Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can I?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by only 31s, Nov 9, 2005.

1. only 31s

only 31s 1/2 ton status

due to lift laws in mass,I need to drop some height off my new rig{ultra clean 90 sub -3"body+3"springs 35s} if I swap to factory leafs do I have to change my shocks? or can I get away with it without damaging them? and before you point out the obvious{guys I know you well LOL} ill worry about tire size after!

2. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Come on man, I'm from Mass. Are you seriously going to lower your truck because of the laws??? If you were saying "well I've read that body lifts over 1" really aren't usefull, so I was thinking of lowering it, what should I do?" then fine...but seriously, there's always someone somwhere who will take an extra 20 or 50 to get you that inspection sticker...

3. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Rather than loose the 3" springs, why not loose the 3" body lift?

Seems like that is the logical thing to get rid of, saying that it would lower your center of gravity, and get rid of all the little problems body lifts can cause....

4. only 31s

only 31s 1/2 ton status

if you know a place?

alot of places around me {methuen area} wont touch it ,its more than just a little over height,Ive even offerd to say I did lifting after sticker-if needed-but there scared about getting there machines shut down {registry} if caught.

5. only 31s

only 31s 1/2 ton status

I likes the space!

aside from swapping my 3" back on after sticker-the extra workspace around the x case and tranny and fuel tank is excellent!

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

If they are telling you that, then its bs. Granted, I dont live in mass., but when I get my truck inspected here...I dont even guve them my truck. I just drive my mercedes over, give them the registration sticker for my truck, and walah.....a 1 year inspection sticker for my truck. Just find/make friends with, someone who will give you a "good" inspection. Its not hard. And, if you absolutely have to, take off the 3" body instead of the 3" springs. You will be kicking yourself in the ass later if you dont.
    -Harrison

7. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Well I understand someone not wanting to get there machine shutdown, and to the guy from NC, that style is really not possible in mass unfortunately. The trick in these situations is to find some common ground with the owner of the shop or gas station. Or start networking...a friend of a friend, ask for a favor, work all the social angles before you start ripping your truck apart just to get a sticker. One day I just strolled into a tranny shop in waltham, started talking to the guy about trucks and stuff bc I knew my transfer case needed to be resealed at some point. I would go over to just "hang out" at the shop after a couple of times, they knew me by first name, and we had a friendly relationship. couple months later my tranny blows up, got it done FOR COST from this guy...just from working the "hey you know me" angle. I also called in a favor from a friend who knew the guy who owns roxbury auto body...got my floors replaced FOR COST. Sure when I picked up my truck there were beer cans scattered all over it, and he wouldn't stop bitching about how he was "losing his ass over it" but you know what? never had to see him again, and it got done. And when I moved out to CO, first thing I did was go talk with some local mechanics, found out who was the best, and made friends with them, the guy at boulder muffler and alignment will throw my truck up on the lift any time I ask about my exhuast, just because I have a relationship with him that's friendly, havne't given him any business YET, but he knows I will.

Moral of the story?

Make friends, it pays.

8. only 31s

only 31s 1/2 ton status

normally i would!

im no good with pics on the comp but ill try,this truck is in such good cond and the body mounts and surrounding areas are perfect+i dont get to wheel rough around here!

9. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

if you are looking to get rid of 3" of lift, to pass inspection, why not just swap a set of tires that are 6 inches shorter than your 35s (like a 235/75/15) and then take it to be inspected. drive it home and then put the 35's back on.

that is if they measure bumper heights, not suspension/body change from stock.

ryan

10. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that's a good idea, slap the smallest tires you can find on there temporarily. maybe even temorarily take the lift off, as it's just a few bolts that hold either the body or the suspension lift on......

Here's a better idea: Move to Georgia ;)
    Or if you really want to have fun, move to Arizona, as they are basically lawless over there :p:

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

stock tires..

I used to go to get stickers for friends with lifted trucks all the time..knowing the guy at the inspection place helps a lot,but he was not about to lose his inspection licence for doing me a favor,so the trucks had to be in decent mechanical shape,and he was a stickler about glass packs,missing cat converters,(if it needed to be "sniffed",84 and older trucks don't),or lift blocks in the front(which I'd never try to bring there anyway!)..

If bumper or door height was the only issue,I'd swap on some stock 235/15 tires and rims,and he'd pass it no problem--he take a picture of it the way it came into his shop,so if the owner got "busted" by the RMV,his a$$ was covered.. nothing looks more comical than a truck with a 6" lift,that has stock 15" tires and rims on it!--looks like a shopping cart.. :haha:

I even bolted and tack welded another set of bumpers under the originals on a 78 Suburban that had a 6" lift ,and a 3" body lift on it--he laughed,but said "hey,its bumpers are under the height limit!"--cant refuse it for that!"--
    My 72 Chevelle wagon that sat on a 69 Suburban 4x4 chassis had Vega bumpers under the originals --it was built in NH,where lift laws are even more anal than MA --it got harder and harder to get a sticker for it,so I sold it after 6 years.... :crazy:

12. only 31s

only 31s 1/2 ton status

now i can relax

after trying several more shops i was about to give up,once again another buddy told me try this guy[i was quite disgusted by now] when i got there he says let me get the tape measure,Isaid you aint even gonna need it! its high!he grinned and chuckled OK lets have a looksee. My luck ,he is a wheeler! he said ill ignore the height but it has to pass emissions. Oh crap!I didnt think i needed that{90 burban}20 mins later BANG ZOOM!!! i have a sticker,duallys to the rescue!{he said he only hooked up one pipe!! YEAH BABY!! :wink1:

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Friendly word of advice, delete everything in the post above except "I figgured out how to get it to pass." No reason to get your new friend in trouble.

14. only 31s

only 31s 1/2 ton status

if i even thought?

way too many shops in between my place and his,if i thought even in the slightest that it could haunt either of us i wouldnt have posted it .We both have are stories straight about the height,and the paperwork says it passed emmisions.Thats all we need!,but thanks for looking out for our interests! :D