Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CAN IT BE STOPPED...........................................rust?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Jan 5, 2003.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I moved to NJ from California a couple of years ago. I have a 77 k5 that is in good shape from a rust perspective. I have not driven it around alot since I brought it up here. Sooooo......is it truly possible to protective it from the rought northeastern winters? I do not see many of these older k5's (or any for that matter) out here so is all hope lost? The rain, snow, salt, humidity etc........how can I protect my pride and joy? Does the POR stuff really stop rust. Does it really prevent it even under these tough conditions?

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

have the whole truck line-x'ed, inside and out. ;P

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Park for the winter /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif. Other than that, just make sure theres no bare sheetmetal anywhere and go to the carwash frequently. The POR stuff really works and the main office is in north NJ /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. I can give you directions if you want, its easy to get to

4. 96chevysfa

96chevysfa 1/2 ton status

yeah, id recomend por15, im using it, we dont have ruff winters here, but i ehar it really works

5. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Hate not to drive the k5. It doesn't fit in my garage so it is parked outside. I had to break off chunks of ice off it today just so I could work under the hood. I can just about hear the Rust Monsters going to work! I think the POR15 headquarters are in Morristown, right? I am in Madison, but if you could give specific directions, that would be cool.

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I used POR 15 on my truck and its peeling off...it really has to be applied to rust. You clean up the area, then spray on the Metal ready, and then paint with POR 15...the places where there was some rust starting on my truck, it is not peeling, it just doesn't bond to clean metal. I'd get it line-x'd like said before

7. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Strip and coat your whole body with the less noble metal zinc and the zinc will errode rather then the body. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

oh make it stop /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif make it stop /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, uh let it rust away then just spend two grand on new panels and they even come black so its a paint job too! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

por15 all the way /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea when i get me a nice truck..its the car wash 3 times a week during winter!! and lots of por-15 and rust spray..and lind floors!

10. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">it's in Whippany. Go down rt 10 and head south on South Jefferson rd, then make a right into the parking lot just before the train tracks, it's in the back. They're always real helpful whenever I go in there. Here's a map

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

In the 70's GM did a really piss poor job of rust proofing. the insides of the rockers, door frame, inner rear 1/4s, window frames inside of the doors are BARE METAL.
    A good rust proofing company will have special applicator wands that they can drill a small hole into the door frame and get some coating up there. If you want to do it your self EASTWOOD sells kits to do it.